Using Height Field to determine object placement density

Started by Tudor, February 05, 2016, 02:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tudor

Hi guys
Sorry to write again but I finally had some time to try and work on your suggestions.
I've built what I think is a replica of the sample and used a painted shader to try and crop the corners of my plane.
Should this be working... where is the blatant mistake I'm making?
As always all the help is very much appreciated on this end.
Regards,
Tudor

bobbystahr

For a simple circle like that I'd use a Simple Shape shader myself just a wee bit bigger than the pond area; but better still just size a Lake to fit.
I mainly use a Painted shader for wildly irregular shapes or twisty rivers.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tudor

Agreed the pit I'm testing on wouldn't need this but I'm trying to figure out what I need to do so that I can do it on a much more complicated form.
I noticed in the sample that the plane has an input and output connector (unsure of terminology) but when I create one I only get the output connector... is there more then one type of plane?

Dune

You have to do it exactly as I did, so check out the sample carefully. The default shader's output shouldn't be going into the water shader like you did. Furthermore; default shader color should be black! (can't see if you did), but the opacity tab is good like you did.
If you rightclick on a plane (or any shader) you get an option 'edit internal network' (or something like that), choose that. Now make some shaders in there, then go out of this object or shader (level up), and rightclick on the input node you want to link one of the new internal shaders to. Got it? If you do, that red triangle dissappears, and the internal shader is linked. That's one thing that's handy to know. The other is that if you make a new node next to your object (plane in this case), and go internal (in the plane), you can in the same way change the link to the shader that's next to the object/plane. Then an outside red triangle will appear and the shader is connected.

Tudor

Not sure what happened but yesterday I got everything working and thought I posted a thanks for all the help.
I mustn't have hit the Post button.
I finally got everything working and I'm very exciting to get this little project of mine up and running.

Anyways, thanks very much for all the help.
Sincerely, Tudor

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tudor on February 23, 2016, 11:11:11 AM
Not sure what happened but yesterday I got everything working and thought I posted a thanks for all the help.
I mustn't have hit the Post button.
I finally got everything working and I'm very exciting to get this little project of mine up and running.

Anyways, thanks very much for all the help.
Sincerely, Tudor

all right.....yer off to the races then...you're most welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bla bla 2

Dune

Tudor

Are you saying that you are using the mask but it appears to be inverted... so what you paint disappears vs. appears?

bla bla 2

Quote from: Dune on February 25, 2016, 07:13:39 AM
huh?

It does not matter, Ulco. ;) I mistranslated. ^^

Tu cherche comme ma technique ?

You looking like my technique ?

--
Quote from: Tudor on February 25, 2016, 08:49:23 AM
Are you saying that you are using the mask but it appears to be inverted... so what you paint disappears vs. appears?

Yes, it is. But I'm like that too.