zigzag challenge (blue guys?)

Started by Dune, February 06, 2016, 01:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks for thinking along, but a set of straight lines will give too sharp angles, and if I then have to paint those rounded areas at every corner, it will be a mess. Then it's lots easier to make a topdown render, and draw a Photoshop mask. I still think warping by some straight greyscale area would work, somehow, but you're right, Chris, that's what we really need. Or an easy way to connect two locations by a painted line in the painted shader, like I described.
@Jon; I've just sent some mails to guys who should know if these roads (in the Netherlands) were also straight. I know they have a very mathematical way of making city/town roads, but along te Rhine? The point along this border was to keep an eye on the river, and report/counter any invaders from the north, so the road should be close to it, I'd say, only cutting off little areas of bog. Which I've just inserted, btw; small creek and bridge.

AP

I figured everyone else has a B-Spline tool it seems so why not, at least some day eventually.

Dune

Well, I'm in no hurry (at the moment), as I just learned that our Roman roads along the Rhine weren't particularly straight, but followed the highest places in the terrain, here and there crossing marshy bits by 'logroad' or bridge. So I'm saved for the present.
But some clever idea would still be very welcome  ::)

fleetwood

Glad to hear about the "following the terrain". This seems more sensible to me from a results for effort aspect. Seems like no matter how good the engineering a straight road would need to defy flooding or be rebuilt time and again. Following the terrain would use the built up areas with whatever natural protection there is and would need less rebuilding.

Plus a curved road makes for a better composition to my eye.

bobbystahr

Well that's good news, I as well prefer the artistry in the follow the river scenario....but what about cobbles...hee hee ee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Cobbles probably only in and near towns. I think even the castella (fortresses) had mainly sandy ground.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 08, 2016, 03:47:11 AM
Cobbles probably only in and near towns. I think even the castella (fortresses) had mainly sandy ground.

check
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist