Terragen 3.4 beta clouds

Started by AP, March 01, 2016, 03:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Closer to a compromise between tight billowy and broken up. The lighting looks better for this one, i think?

DocCharly65

The top is already unbelievable good!

I don't really know what is disturbing me about the bottom of the clouds. But just an idea: Is it possible to add a  couds layer with less density but minimal higher coverage some meters lower? I fantasize just a little...

Dune

Yes, I like the tops as well, the whole clouds actually. Perhaps soften the bottom more? I've done some work on clouds too lately, and found out that you can also use a surface shader with a negative black color (+input) to adjust stuff (at certain heights), and use the child input to alter the feel of the cloud. There are always new ways  ;) I guess blue nodes can do the same (like bias, modula, clamp, whatever, but I'm not really good at those (at all).

AP

Quote from: DocCharly65 on March 03, 2016, 02:42:16 AM
The top is already unbelievable good!

I don't really know what is disturbing me about the bottom of the clouds. But just an idea: Is it possible to add a  couds layer with less density but minimal higher coverage some meters lower? I fantasize just a little...

Certainly, however the idea was to use as little nodes as possible here. I like a good challenge while still trying to keep it realistic. My current render should have more soft cloud bottoms.

AP

Quote from: Dune on March 03, 2016, 02:47:12 AM
Yes, I like the tops as well, the whole clouds actually. Perhaps soften the bottom more? I've done some work on clouds too lately, and found out that you can also use a surface shader with a negative black color (+input) to adjust stuff (at certain heights), and use the child input to alter the feel of the cloud. There are always new ways  ;) I guess blue nodes can do the same (like bias, modula, clamp, whatever, but I'm not really good at those (at all).

Funny, i to was thinking what could be done with a Surface layer and the like? One idea is anvil tops for very tall thunderheads. Displace outward near and along the cloud tops somehow. I want to flatten those out when they hit stratosphere.

AP

Less density and softer bottoms. Added some additional height.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

If you try to subtract clouds (perhaps with height restraint), you'll see that some sort of opposite is added elsewhere. Has to do with clamping. Somehow the black has negative values that you don't see, but they are there, and when subtracting this will be added  :o Very complicated if you look at a mess of nodes too long and have all sorts of connections. Bias is also interesting, with a fractal as bias'er. You never end playing/working.

AP

I will have to try those ideas out soon but it sounds rather enticing.

bobbystahr

Great exploration Chris. You've a very active mind....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

Thank You.

When i get to good enough point, i would like to share the results.

AP

Now that the contest is over, back to some cloud experiments.