VR Questions? Post them here

Started by Matt, March 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

If you have any questions about the VR Challenge, you can ask them here.

You can also start new topics in the VR Challenge board.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

I think many like to know the answer to this question...

How to deal with the GI best when using the "6 cube faces" approach over spherical rendering?

Pre-compute a 360 degree cache and render the 6 faces using that cache?

Oshyan

You can render GI caches for each side then use "equal blend within range" with 6 frames blended for rendering *each side* in final. Be sure to name the caches sequentially, e.g. gicache_001.gic (for side 1), gicache_002.gic (for side 2), etc.

- Oshyan

Matt

It's OK to submit renders that have minor technical problems like these. We want to make it as easy as possible to enter the contest. GI matching and stitching problems can be solved on our end. Also, some versions of Terragen don't support GI cache files, so we can't let that affect our decisions.

Matt

KyL

cytone

how can participate? I have just finished a video with this technique. ;.)

Cy Tone

www.cytone.org
Alberto Cittone / Cy Tone

Inhale - Exhale - Inspire - Create

"All Content is Copyright-free, everyone can use it as he/she/it prefers, we don't give a fuck. Culture is a human heritage not a mass production tool"

www.cytone.org
www.behance.net/cytone
www.facebook.com/cytone

TheBadger

Hello,

I was curious if the approach maters. I would like to know if PS wants global environment for some reason, or if the scene could be created more like how the standard "appears" to be when creating VR with other soft. That is, a certain amount of space, say 1-10 square miles, or something.

Or if you want a whole planet with a certain space more developed?

Also, I am thinking that this is not attached to the NWDA TG contest.?
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Excellent idea for a contest, inspired.

Two questions of the bat.

1.  Do you want to see work in progress shots. It's been a requirement of previous contests although given that you are allowing previously created scenes this may not be appropriate.
2. Is this a static camera scene where the viewer can rotate the camera viewpoint in HPB (classic QTVR) or are you looking for a completely immersive environment where the viewer can move in the XYZ and HPB freely. I suspect the former.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Badger, as the contest rules state, we are looking for *specific viewpoints* that work in 360 degrees. At least 1 viewpoint in the scene and as many as 5, all of which work in 360 degrees. Whole planets are definitely not necessary (nor what we're really looking for). Imagine if you were in a VR environment and you could look at some distant hill and then click to go there. That's what we have in mind. So the multiple views of a single scene should probably be within viewing distance *of each other*.

Richard, WIP are very welcome! But not required. And as noted above, we are indeed talking about fixed camera rotation here (with some possible minor movement/parallax functionality).

- Oshyan

DannyG

Quote from: TheBadger on March 03, 2016, 08:53:24 PM
Also, I am thinking that this is not attached to the NWDA TG contest.?

Correct! This IS NOT connected to NWDA, This is a "Planetside Software Contest"
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

kaedorg

Hi

Not sure i'll be able to submit a render for this challenge but
I think it is a great idea and there will be many things to learn here.

I used the basic statement and just put spherical camera and render size 2000 x 1000
to get this render.

Is it the kind of image that you expect or did I misunderstand anything ?

David

Oshyan

Yep, that's what we're looking for kaedorg. :)

- Oshyan

Hannes

Is an interior shot possible (don't know much about this VR stuff, although I'm quite interested), or does it have to be some sort of an outside wide shot?

Matt

yossam

How are the finished renders viewed..........QT? Could you post an example so we know what you expect?