VR Questions? Post them here

Started by Matt, March 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

If you look up or down, you just go nuts and screw your eyes  ;)

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on March 13, 2016, 05:33:25 AM
Quote from: Matt on March 12, 2016, 10:31:38 PM
We will render winners in stereo, and possibly more than just stereo for some platforms 8)  :-X

I'm curious how to render stereo panos. Is it just rendering to panos, one for the right "eye" and one for the left one?
If one looks up, he can turn his head around which would make right to left and left to right?! I know this has already been done, but I can't imagine how.

Pre-rendered (or photographed) stereo has problems at the poles for this exact reason. Some renders choose to ignore this problem, and it looks a bit screwy when looking straight up or straight down (and of course even more so if you twist your head). The approach that OTOY have taken in some of their renders is to cancel out the stereo effect near the poles so that there is no perceivable stereo there. That's not ideal either. A third way to solve this is to render the scene in real-time so the stereo is correct for any head rotation. Obviously with pre-rendered (or photographed) content this is not easy. But that's not the same as impossible, and I have some tricks up my sleeve ;)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Hannes

majidkaviani

hi friends.
i just want to know which way is better?using default spherical camera or using 6 rendered technique?
when i try to render with default spherical camera the rendered image was so far from base camera(distance).
can you help me to solve this? is there a way to use default camera without losing base position?
thanks

Hannes

You can always test an image (low res for testing purposes) created with the spherical camera by loading it into a pano viewer like the FSPViewer (very much recommended - easy to use!!) or another one Chris suggested. If you look at your result without using a viewer it may probably always look like your too far away.

I guess the results should be roughly the same no matter if you use the spherical camera or stitched images.

Matt

Quote from: majidkaviani on March 14, 2016, 04:16:56 AM
hi friends.
i just want to know which way is better?using default spherical camera or using 6 rendered technique?

The cube setup gives you more resolution when looking straight up or straight down, but takes a little bit more work to set up and render, and may be more difficult to find viewers to preview your work in 360 degrees.

when i try to render with default spherical camera the rendered image was so far from base camera(distance).
can you help me to solve this? is there a way to use default camera without losing base position?
thanks

Do you mean that the spherical camera is at a different position in the world? Or does it only look like you're further away from your subect?

If the camera really is in a different position, there are two ways to solve this. You can copy your desired camera position into the spherical camera's position parameter (using the clipboard menu next to the camera's position parameter). Or you can turn your existing camera into a spherical camera by clicking on "spherical", and making sure the rotation values are 0 in X and Z.

Maybe it just looks like you're further away from your subject. This can happen because of the wider field of view, but when you view the image in a 360-degree viewer or panorama viewer it might look closer to what you expect.

Matt

majidkaviani

thank you, the image with spherical camera in fps viewer is the same as normal render. but i`m sure i have to render it in 8 k :)

Antoine

In the scene I would like to create and before using some objects, I need to know if Planetside has the licence to use the followings :

1 : short mowed grass from Silva 3d
2: Pine trees from Xfrog BUT modified by me in Xfrog software
3 : Softer voronoi cracks from NWDA

David.

Matt

Quote from: Antoine on March 14, 2016, 01:09:03 PM
In the scene I would like to create and before using some objects, I need to know if Planetside has the licence to use the followings :

1 : short mowed grass from Silva 3d
2: Pine trees from Xfrog BUT modified by me in Xfrog software
3 : Softer voronoi cracks from NWDA

David.

Yes, we have licenses to use all of those.

Matt

Antoine

Thank you for your answer Matt !

I have forgotten these two I will perhaps use in my project: Do you have a licence for :

Eroded stones 1&2 and Sky preset from Virtual Landscapes (Luc Bianco)

David.

bobbystahr

Question:
For those of us machine impaired what is the minimum Detail and AA recommendations. Seems largely not that important except for the "sell" of the initial image as you guys will be re rendering the final VR images. Oh, and characters? I'm guessing unless they're quite hi poly models they're not a good idea...already deleted the one from my scene.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Mohawk20

Will the final versions be rendered in TG4? I guess some scenes will look even better with the new lens flare effects and stuff...
Howgh!

Matt

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 15, 2016, 07:51:15 PM
Question:
For those of us machine impaired what is the minimum Detail and AA recommendations. Seems largely not that important except for the "sell" of the initial image as you guys will be re rendering the final VR images. Oh, and characters? I'm guessing unless they're quite hi poly models they're not a good idea...already deleted the one from my scene.

There are no minimum quality settings to enter. We will use our experience to try to judge the potential of the scene, but you should try to make the submitted images look good enough to see their potential. If a scene seems promising we will ask for scene files so we can render higher quality tests before deciding on winners. So just render at the best quality you can without taking too much time away from creating your scenes.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 16, 2016, 04:36:05 PM
Will the final versions be rendered in TG4? I guess some scenes will look even better with the new lens flare effects and stuff...

Yes, we'll render some scenes with TG4 using whatever secret technology we have at our disposal to make them look as good as we can :)

Matt