VR Questions? Post them here

Started by Matt, March 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Quote from: Oshyan on March 23, 2016, 02:20:04 PM
Mohawk, we figured 10 people winning a prize instead of the more typical 3-4 (1st-3rd place, etc.) was a pretty good way to go. That will hopefully give everyone plenty of chance to win.

- Oshyan

That is true of course. Apologies on the lack of gratitude for the current amount of rewards.
I have to realize it's still a contest.
Howgh!

Oshyan

That's OK Mohawk, I totally understand. :)

- Oshyan

Dune

Quotewe figured 10 people winning a prize instead of the more typical 3-4 (1st-3rd place, etc.) was a pretty good way to go
There's only one 'loser', at this moment (counter on 11)  ;) so chances are good, Mohawk.

ADE

where is the link to submit the entries?

Mohawk20

In the thread "VR Challenge: Getting Started"

Quote from: Matt on March 03, 2016, 03:10:43 PM
Contest Rules

http://terragen4.com/terragen-vr-challenge/#rules

How to render 360-degree images for submission

If you have Terragen 3 Professional or Terragen 3 Professional with Animation, you can render with a spherical camera. This is the simplest way to render a 360-degree view.

1) Enable "spherical" on the camera node.

2) Usually you want to ensure that the camera's rotation is level with the horizon (set X and Z rotations to 0).

3) Set the image width to be 2x the image height. E.g. 2000 x 1000.

4) Render an image.

If you don't have a version that can render with a spherical camera, use the 360-degree cube setup here:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21257.msg212927.html#msg212927

How to submit your entries

Upload your renders here: http://terragen4.com/vr-challenge-submission/
Howgh!

Dune

Can we insert the Xoio (winter) people? I couldn't find any rules, but they are given away for free at their site. Would be a nice addition to one of my renders.

AndyWelder

How do I get my render (preview) started? It's the 3.4 Pro edition I'm using but though I created a new camera, selected "Spherical" and connected this to a new Renderer nothing happens: The preview says 5% and that's it, even after 30 minutes. I know I'm silver blond so there's probably something I don't notice. Could anyone tell me what, please?
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Mohawk20

Quote from: AndyWelder on March 27, 2016, 01:42:41 PM
I created a new camera, selected "Spherical" and connected this to a new Renderer nothing happens: The preview says 5% and that's it, even after 30 minutes.

Well, that's the thing with a spherical camera, the preview is loaded for every triangle in sight when the preview is rendering. So it's taking quite some time to load everything all around. But the actual time depends in the complexity of the scene. Mine didn't take that long, so I'm very interested to see your scene.
Howgh!

AndyWelder

Quotethe preview is loaded for every triangle in sight when the preview is rendering
Oh boy.... So should I skip the water? The camera is on a small rock in a lake...

Kadri

Are you sure you can see the "Spherical" camera in the preview?
I just opened a default scene and if you change the perspective to spherical nothing changes in the preview.
I still use Terragen v. 3.3

AndyWelder

QuoteAre you sure you can see the "Spherical" camera in the preview?
Pretty much! I did save the project, closed an reopened it , selected the Spherical camera from the drop down list and got a preview with detail at 5 for at least 20 minutes now. Maybe my PC is too old for this with 3rd gen I5@2.70GHz...

Dune

The button on the left of that one hasn't been set. I guess that's what's going wrong.

Hannes

I don't know, if I get you right. You mean your preview doesn't update, when you select "spherical cam"?!
I'm not sure if this is the problem, but when I created my VR scene I first tried to get some nice POVs with the regular camera put to a position where the viewers eyes are supposed to be.
Then I switched to spherical camera. The preview stayed the same! No spherical view in the preview window. But when you hit render (lo res with low quality settings for testing purposes - sometimes much faster than waiting for the preview), you get your spherical image.

Kadri

Same here Hannes. Wasn't clear probably how i wrote it.

bobbystahr

Not really a question but I uploaded my 3rd scene and as it was a single image I tried to upload the .tif the TG3 outputs but it kept refusing as an invalid format so I 7zipped it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist