VR Questions? Post them here

Started by Matt, March 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blubbel

Maybe you can offer a "free temp license", to enable this featuer in Terragen? But anyway, you gave me a hint what I should look for, a "stitching tool". Never heard this word before... :)

Greetings from Austria, Andi

Dune

Hannes

Not entirely a VR question, but do you need the files before you are judging, or only of the ones who made it in the end?
I'm only asking because it may take some time to convert all the .obj files into .tgos to make the file size smaller.

Mohawk20

I was wondering, most of the VR scenes I have seen using cardboard are also in 3d / stereoscopic. Will the final scenes also be rendered  stereoscopic?
Howgh!

alessandro

It'd be nice if we were allowed to crop and eliminate the bottomless part of the image (approximately 1/12th of it), where the terrain (or what's there) get so much distortion that it looks really ugly.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

Hannes

Alessandro, if you render out a 2:1 ratio image (at least with the spherical camera) there is no distorted part of the bottom if you watch it in a pano viewer. What do you mean?

alessandro

Hannes hello, I'll search for a better Pano viewer, the one I currently use on OSX probably is the issue. I'll post some pictures as I progress with my image...
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

Oshyan

Hannes, you only need to submit your source files upon request. That will not necessarily be *only* for winners (we may need to evaluate some aspect of multiple scenes to help decide winners, for example). Also if you compress to 7-zip (.7z) OBJ and TGO will probably be similar size. File size should not be a huge issue in any case.

Mohawk, we do plan to render stereoscopic. :)

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks!
Alessandro, I'm using one of the apps Chris suggested, but I'm afraid they are Windows apps.

Oshyan, good to know. So, there's no need to convert everything to tgo, right?

Oshyan

Correct, no need to convert everything.

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 12, 2016, 07:41:25 AM
I was wondering, most of the VR scenes I have seen using cardboard are also in 3d / stereoscopic. Will the final scenes also be rendered  stereoscopic?

You can submit mono renders, or stereo renders if you prefer, but it shouldn't really matter for the judging process.

We will render winners in stereo, and possibly more than just stereo for some platforms 8)  :-X

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Yeah, add some cool animated parts!

Mohawk20

Quote from: Dune on March 13, 2016, 03:03:49 AM
Yeah, add some cool animated parts!

Yes, like water. Super realistic stereoscopic 360 scenes with  water that doesn't move a little bit is just weird, and immediately destroys the realism.
Howgh!

Dune

I got the same reaction when showing my Stone Age hunting scene to someone; can't you make those people move around  ::) Weird that they stand so still.

Hannes

Quote from: Matt on March 12, 2016, 10:31:38 PM
We will render winners in stereo, and possibly more than just stereo for some platforms 8)  :-X

I'm curious how to render stereo panos. Is it just rendering to panos, one for the right "eye" and one for the left one?
If one looks up, he can turn his head around which would make right to left and left to right?! I know this has already been done, but I can't imagine how.