VR Questions? Post them here

Started by Matt, March 03, 2016, 03:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on March 16, 2016, 05:01:29 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on March 15, 2016, 07:51:15 PM
Question:
For those of us machine impaired what is the minimum Detail and AA recommendations. Seems largely not that important except for the "sell" of the initial image as you guys will be re rendering the final VR images. Oh, and characters? I'm guessing unless they're quite hi poly models they're not a good idea...already deleted the one from my scene.

There are no minimum quality settings to enter. We will use our experience to try to judge the potential of the scene, but you should try to make the submitted images look good enough to see their potential. If a scene seems promising we will ask for scene files so we can render higher quality tests before deciding on winners. So just render at the best quality you can without taking too much time away from creating your scenes.

Matt

Coolio...I'll throw whatever I can at it then, there's what, 2 weeks left?...I should be able to get at least one scene done heh heh heh. For their size, I find spherical renders go faster...or am I deceiving myself again?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

We can use our work in another way,media etc. even if we enter-win the contest? The rights are still ours?
That is what i understand. Is this right Matt, Oshyan ?
I have a scene that i wanted to use in my animation (this is a still only). Just to be sure.

Oshyan

Yes Kadri, that's correct. We are not requiring exclusive rights on the entries.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Got a wee query. I'm going to get my renders done at pixel plow and I have each file in it's own gathered folder but should I move all the assets to the same place as the .tgd? They say relative and that's what I understand as relative.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

No, if you have Gathered the project, then it will work fine. "Relative" actually means just a file/folder path that is specified *relative to the one that has the TGD*. So rather than an *absolute* path, e.g C:\files\terragenproject\project files\image.tif, instead because your TGD is in \terragenproject\ you only need to specify the *subdirectory* that image.tif is in. So the relative path to image.tif in this case is "project files\image.tif" (note: I originally had a leading \ here, which is incorrect; I added quotes instead so you can see the entirety of the path statement, where it begins and where it ends)
The path is *relative* to the TGD, i.e. "where is this file relative to the tgd? oh, it's in this directory inside of the one in which the tgd resides"

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 21, 2016, 11:19:28 PM
No, if you have Gathered the project, then it will work fine. "Relative" actually means just a file/folder path that is specified *relative to the one that has the TGD*. So rather than an *absolute* path, e.g C:\files\terragenproject\project files\image.tif, instead because your TGD is in \terragenproject\ you only need to specify the *subdirectory* that image.tif is in. So the relative path to image.tif in this case is \project files\image.tif
The path is *relative* to the TGD, i.e. "where is this file relative to the tgd? oh, it's in this directory inside of the one in which the tgd resides"

- Oshyan

Cool, thought I had that straight, thanks.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Mohawk20

Another question:
Will you make changes to the winning entries to ensure the best quality? Like upping the clouds quality settings and maybe better GI settings, or stuff like that?
Or do we have  to do that beforehand?
Howgh!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 22, 2016, 07:16:04 AM
Another question:
Will you make changes to the winning entries to ensure the best quality? Like upping the clouds quality settings and maybe better GI settings, or stuff like that?

echo.....echo......echo.......echo

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Kadri

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 22, 2016, 07:16:04 AM
Another question:

In page 4 Matt's last two posts kind of have the answers for that.

Oshyan

We will make quality-related adjustments as we see fit. We want to present the best quality final results and we'll be using all our expertise to ensure that. :D So the burden is off you guys for that stuff. Just focus on the *content* and *structure* of the scene, and your camera placement(s). Please, for the love of god, don't bother with high quality or high resolution tests or final renders, at least not before you have really tuned and tweaked everything in your scene to look as good as you can make it.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 22, 2016, 02:58:00 PM
We will make quality-related adjustments as we see fit. We want to present the best quality final results and we'll be using all our expertise to ensure that. :D So the burden is off you guys for that stuff. Just focus on the *content* and *structure* of the scene, and your camera placement(s). Please, for the love of god, don't bother with high quality or high resolution tests or final renders, at least not before you have really tuned and tweaked everything in your scene to look as good as you can make it.

- Oshyan

Heh heh heh, well a week of smaller res tweaks later I have 2 scenes ready for pixel plow....won't be posting them here but are versions of the Chinese Bridge scene I did. Oh and good to know on the quality thing...thanks planetside.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

How did you get along with the Speedtree guys? Can we use those veggies?

Mohawk20

I'm getting worried as I see all those great, high realism renders, like the ones from Dune, Jo Kariboo or Danny.
I hope I can get in somewhere around place 8 or 9, but what if I don't make it? (I really want to win TG4, as I guess a lot of others do as well.) Would it be possible to have an 11th place for most creative scenebuilding (the way you put the nodes together, or use shaders for effects they were not meant for), or a 12th place for best indoor scene, or stuff like that?
I know you can't give everyone a copy for their effort, but still...
Howgh!

Oshyan

Ulco, we still don't have an answer on Speedtree, but we remain hopeful and are working to make it possible.

Mohawk, we figured 10 people winning a prize instead of the more typical 3-4 (1st-3rd place, etc.) was a pretty good way to go. That will hopefully give everyone plenty of chance to win.

- Oshyan