Hannes - My home is my castle - WIP

Started by Hannes, March 09, 2016, 04:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I tried 72 samples instead of the default 24 in the GISD tab.
Of course it took a bit longer to render, but there is some effect. Here is another example.
On the left side it's 24 samples, on the right side 72. Both are crops of a 4K pano. Subtle but visible to my eyes.

Dune

Hannes

I'd say yes.
If rendertimes were twice as high, I'd say no of course, but as far as I can tell so far it's not that dramatic.

Dune

TheBadger

Man hannes, thats a lot of details. Very cool.
It has been eaten.

Matt

Quote from: Dune on March 13, 2016, 03:43:56 AM
Yes, I knew about 1) (better is always more 'expensive'  :P But 2) I have to think about. Does that also mean that it's better to increase those samples for say an 8k image?

No, because when you render the 8k image you already get more samples of GI than the 2k image. If your 8k spherical has similar sharpness to your 2k perspective, then you've already done what you need to by increasing the render output to 8k.

3): I guess we have a small misunderstanding; if you look at your monitor you see one (~1/4) part of the globe the equirectangular image is projected on, the rest is on the right, left and behind you (and above and below). The part in front has a certain sharpness, but so need the other parts. That differs from a straight render that fills the monitor. That's what I meant. So an equirectangular render of 8k wide would, IMO,  look kind of similar as a 2k normal render, roughly said.

Yes, I'd agree with that, assuming the 2k render had an FOV of about 90 degrees. So if both images have similar amount of pixels per degree of FOV, you want to keep the GISD and GI settings the same as well.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Hannes

I added a little bit more stuff (think I have to stop now...) and rendered a second view in 4K. This time it took 24 and a half hours.
There's a lot of reflective shaders, but I did tests with the simple specular function of the shaders, and I didn't like it.

Here's how it looks in 1280px. No postwork.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on March 16, 2016, 06:20:46 PM
I added a little bit more stuff (think I have to stop now...) and rendered a second view in 4K. This time it took 24 and a half hours.
There's a lot of reflective shaders, but I did tests with the simple specular function of the shaders, and I didn't like it.

Here's how it looks in 1280px. No postwork.

Very nice, had you not started this and with a funnier title than I'd thought up, I might have taken a run at this as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

yossam

Almost looks like a shield or force field around the center, not noticeable in the viewer.  :)

Henry Blewer

This reminds me of a Witcher interior. I would try having some areas with much more illumination.
The image texturing is wonderful. I like it very much.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Mohawk20

I love the lighting with the rays and shadows from the roof!
Howgh!

zaxxon

What a lush and beautiful environment! Hannes you always bring out the best in the TG renderer, be nice to see this in a high-end VR headset.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys! Zaxxon, I'd love to.

Hannes

Just submitted my entry, before I start thinking about adding even more objects (actually there are 84 objects in the scene).
One scene, two views.