Planetary Surface Shader

Started by xanga433, December 27, 2006, 05:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xanga433

I added a second planet to a blank scene and attached a planet surface shader with all default values to it and it worked fine, that is, until I moved the second planet.

What happened can only be described with pictures.
I don't know what it's doing.

I've been able to reproduce the problem on both my computer and laptop. Simply add a second planet to a scene and attach the planet surface shader to it...it should freak out when you move the planet.

(edit:) Actually now I've found that simply attaching the shader to the planet causes the issue, even if I don't move it.

Rendering the image produced a blank red picture

efflux

This is possibly because the second planet will already have by default a power fractal shader with very large feature size and displacements. By connecting a planet surface shader (I think it's a full shader with no need to go through a compute terrain again -  but I may be wrong) which I presume will also have data to supply large feature size and more displacement then possibly it multiplies and gets in a huge mess to create the artifacts. If you want to add more detail then add another power fractal or remove the original one and then add something else. That would be my advice.

xanga433

I've deleted the power fractal shader and connected the planetary surface shader directly. Unfortunately the end result is the same. For now it seems the planetary surface shader only works on the main planet (looks beautiful by the way).

3DGuy

I've noticed the same. I've mentioned it in a topic about adding a second planet. It's really weird. Adding it before or after moving doesn't matter.

efflux

I don't know what the problem is. Maybe just that the extra moons display materials differently, not as much detail needed to zoom in. I managed to reproduce this problem as well but I haven't experimented much with moons.

Oshyan

I believe this is a coordinate system issue, possibly specific to the Planet Surface Shader (although it's clear there are other coordinate-related issues). For now if you want to use this shader it seems like you can only do so on the main planet. Thus if you want to see a planet using it as viewed from a different planet, just put your camera on the 2nd planet and texture it as normal. Then you can view the planet with the Planet Surface Shader because that planet is at 0,0,0. As long as you don't move the original planet it should work. This will of course be addressed in the future.

- Oshyan