something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

Quote from: plugsnpixels on November 17, 2016, 10:12:26 PM
Just noticed they have a TG3 tutorial as well:

http://people.cornellcollege.edu/dsherman/terragen3-tutorial.html

Of course not knowing this persons hardware it's tough to gauge, however for that image @ that resolution to take 4 hours 39min to render is insane. He must be using a old @ss laptop or something, regardless of Soft shadows or receive shadows being enabled. I actually think without the author (presumingly Prof Sherman) posting his hardware specs as well as the other render settings this mini tutorial is doing more harm than good for the software. If I didn't know any thing about Terragen I would would pass on reading that render time alone. Imagine a potential customer reading that?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on November 20, 2017, 01:03:35 PM
Quote from: plugsnpixels on November 17, 2016, 10:12:26 PM
Just noticed they have a TG3 tutorial as well:

http://people.cornellcollege.edu/dsherman/terragen3-tutorial.html

Of course not knowing this persons hardware it's tough to gauge, however for that image @ that resolution to take 4 hours 39min to render is insane. He must be using a old @ss laptop or something, regardless of Soft shadows or receive shadows being enabled. I actually think without the author (presumingly Prof Sherman) posting his hardware specs as well as the other render settings this mini tutorial is doing more harm than good for the software. If I didn't know any thing about Terragen I would would pass on reading that render time alone. Imagine a potential customer reading that?

based on his render size I'd be willing to guess an underpowered old laptop myself.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

That's my point a potential customer doesn't know this. In the time of real time ray tracing and the fact that time in a production is everything this would deter me. This is misleading without more info. Also is this guy teaching the software? His addy is Cornell College, curious although non of my business if they have a educational program teaching TG. If so he needs to book up on the forum posts.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

luvsmuzik

Looks to be a fairly smart guy, if you go to his root directory.
I am talking with my young cousin who is attending in Orlando currently. I know many people are born knowing this stuff, some of us have to actually learn it. We are going to compare techniques as time moves on, haha.