General > User-contributed Tutorials

Export Terragen terrains as vector displacement map

(1/13) > >>

digitalguru:
Hi all,

I've just posted a video tutorial on how to export a Terragen terrain as a vector displacement map.

Useful for rendering in an external application as vector displacement, or exporting the terrain to a sculpting program to refine and then re-importing to Terragen.

Terragen project files attached.

Hope you find it useful, comments and feedback very welcome!

zaxxon:
First off:  that is one seriously well done tutorial! I watched thru it twice and was able to follow the steps as well as the logic, and it will definitely serve as a great reference for anyone who wants to export TG terrains into other 3D apps. I'm glad you showed some of the steps in using the VDM in Mudbox.  Having used an earlier .tgd of yours and successfully creating a VDM in .exr format I still had issues bringing it in to Mudbox. Specifically in using  an 8k plane created in Max (using meters as units), or in scaling up a native Mudbox plane. The plane is just SO big and adjusting the far clipping plane seems a bit tricky. :( Also, I received an error message in Mudbox in the 'Sculpt from Map' tool that I had "multiple exr images". I'm sure there is some sort of error in my application of these steps (I seem to have a penchant for complicating even the most straight-forward of instructions!). To my mind this is a very significant technique, and is a big boost to the appeal of TG. I'm a big fan and user of World Machine, however even WM can't accomplish the varied lateral displacements that TG produces. Thanks again Digitalguru (indeed!), great job at following up on an offhand comment and researching and creating this super workflow! 

digitalguru:
Hey Doug,

Glad you liked it  :)

--- Quote ---The plane is just SO big and adjusting the far clipping plane seems a bit tricky
--- End quote ---

Just set your Mudbox cameras Far Plane to 1,000,000

--- Quote ---Also, I received an error message in Mudbox in the 'Sculpt from Map' tool that I had "multiple exr images".
--- End quote ---

You probably have a couple of files, with a number appended at end like - "terragen_vector.0001.exr" or similar - Mudbox thinks it's part of multi UV tile (UDIM) set. You can simply rename the file to a unique name without any numerical characters and reload.

Hey, you might know this, when you set a file name in the Render Sequence/Output tab, Terragen will always create the "%04d" token evern if you only render out a single frame or a sequence of only one frame - is there a way to turn that off?

TheBadger:
Tear it up Zaxxon!  8)

Thanks DG!

Hannes:
Wow, thanks a lot. This is quite a tutorial!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version