Export Terragen terrains as vector displacement map

Started by digitalguru, March 14, 2016, 10:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Yes, I had forgotten the Raytrace Objects off feature. Not that I would dare to try and export but curious to see if anyone else dares just for the heck of it.

Kadri

I tried it actually earlier. But i might have forgotten to check one of the boxes maybe :)

Kadri

I just confirmed that i forget something to check. It works as Oshyan said.
Bummer i needed that at that time. Still nice to know that it works.

AP

Quote from: Kadri on April 22, 2016, 11:55:48 PM

I tried it actually earlier. But i might have forgotten to check one of the boxes maybe :)

Cool.

Dune

I tried this yesterday with a pop of ruins (tgo) on some barren ground, and exported. But all I got was the terrain and some broken vertical flat piece of mesh intersecting the terrain. Weird. Did any of you manage to export terrain AND a pop of something as one mesh?

Kadri

Yes Ulco. That was what i was trying to say above. I exported a population and terrain as one object.

Dune

So why can't I do that? Anything about the objects I need to check or uncheck? They were quite simple tgo's.

TheBadger

I was just thinking that it may be what soft you use, ulco. When I did it with my TG maze world, I added vines, then exported the terrain which had the vines in order to add more. That is when I saw that the vines I already added where exported as terrain.
I saw that in IvyGen, perhaps some programs read the exported obj differently. As this is a known issue with obj.

By the way, I found that having the vines in exported Terrain, really helped with knowing where to add more and not, so perhaps that is the most practical thing one can do with this.

I also was thinking that, exporting very small pops (say no more than a few square feet of terrain) could be a great way to make super complex vector brushes for Mudbox. I had previously argued that vector out would allow mud to be the sculpt tool for TG. But with the idea we are playing with now, This could be really powerful for mud (and maybe Z?). In theory anyway (and if it is possible to out as vector rather than obj).

Last thing, though I did not save any screen grabs from the ivy scene, I remember very clearly that the ivy exported from TG as terrain was VERY detailed and looked quite good (viewed in IvyGen). My obj files were I recall, running about a gig+ for that and that was way more then a few square feet of terrain, more like many meters.
It has been eaten.

Dune

How do you mean, what soft? An object is an object in TG, isn't it? I must do some more experiments.

TheBadger

just speculation, sorry.

I also recall that i had turned off atom and light and all of those things when rendering, as at the time I believed that would render out of TG faster. You would have to try it or check the IvyGen threads which have all the info I am trying to recall now (that was like in 2010!).

Anyway, its probably just a simple thing you have or don't have clicked, I am sure you will make it work the way you want.

But for sure, you should get a pretty detailed output, depending on the model, and how close you will look at it.

But to be clear, Ulco, you are still talking about OBJ and not vector out, right? I think you are but just making sure if you jumped ahead or not.
It has been eaten.

bla bla 2

Kadri

I am kind of puzzled too Ulco. The last time i tried it it didn't worked too.
Now it is so easy. Just unchecking "Ray trace objects" is enough for the microexporter.

Dune

You're getting me frustrated  >:( ......
QuoteNow it is so easy. Just unchecking "Ray trace objects" is enough for the microexporter.
I did that, also truned of atmo, GI, etc for faster rendering, unchecked RTO, and still no luck. I'll try again today. Not that it's any use to me atm, but I just want to know. And no, Michael, it's not about vector export (yet).

Kadri

Ulco instead of taking too much of your time, put here just a small-unimportant part of your object that doesn't work and we could see if it doesn't work for us too-or not?

Dune

Try this, it didn't work for me.

EDIT: I just tried again and got it working in the 32-bit 3.3.04.0 version...