Are you working on a Terragen VR Challenge submission? Weigh in!

Started by Oshyan, March 22, 2016, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you working on a submission for the Terragen VR Challenge?

Yes - Not Yet Submitted
16 (66.7%)
Yes - Already Submitted
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Jo Kariboo

I find it very interesting contest. The subject is vast allowing us to submit past project pictures. Not easy on the time, most of us have at times during the year less free time. I just hope to finish in time. I would like tg4 and I like Xfrog plants. I want to win.   :)

AndyWelder

Got inspired today so I did start on a challenge project. If I could only get the render going, the scene basic setup is ready, a nice panorama but no vegetation and clouds yet.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Oshyan

Quote from: Pavan83 on March 27, 2016, 02:17:34 AM
I am working on something, and will be uploading by Tuesday.   But I am working with a free edition of TG. is it acceptable?

Yes, you can definitely use the free version to create your entry. :)

- Oshyan

HecubaAssassin

I am working hard at redoing one of my locations after it would not render.  I will be rendering down to the finish line, instead of turning things in a day early, as l would have liked.  I am enjoying this, and could really use a full version of Terragen4, as my cashflow is very limited right now.

Oshyan

We have extended the submission deadline to April 11th at 11:59PM Pacific Time! Use the extra time to refine an existing scene and resubmit, or create a whole new entry. Remember: we don't need super high detail/quality renders (i.e. high render settings), but we do want the most well designed and detailed scenes.

Good luck!

- Oshyan

digitalguru

Good to hear about the extension! Can do a few much needed tweaks :-)

Just out of interest, what size does you all at Planetside plan to render a winning entry for an immersive VR?

TheBadger

Quote from: digitalguru on March 28, 2016, 05:23:29 PM
Good to hear about the extension! Can do a few much needed tweaks :-)

Just out of interest, what size does you all at Planetside plan to render a winning entry for an immersive VR?

Yes, I am still quite curious about what happens after the contest too. Despite the relatively polite refusal to answer  ;D
It has been eaten.

digitalguru

it was more of a technical question really - just wondered how big an image would have to be to work in VR

TheBadger

I know, I was just poking the bear.
This article will be of interest to you. The answer to your question though is, it is determined by the max resolution allowed by the device. I guess some will only view it on their PC, or maybe even UHD TV, but here is the max for head sets as far as I have heard lately: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starvr-vr-headset-5120-1440-resolution/

I also ran across  an article that says 8kX8K (per eye) is not enough: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/virtual-perfection-why-8k-resolution-per-eye-isnt-enough-for-perfect-vr/

Hope that will give you some ideas. Lots of "who knows?" left in VR yet. ;D
It has been eaten.

otakar

I thought the original deadline was too tight. Did not even start on this knowing I would not have enough time.  Just got back from vacation and now I see it's been moved back. A pity. Some great projects, though, I am enjoying it...

Hannes

Do we get confirmation e-mails, after we submitted our entries? Just to be sure it's there.

Dune

Hannes

I got a pm by Matt for my first entry. For my second one I haven't received a message yet, but it was yesterday, so no need to hurry, I know.
I just want to be sure, that it's there.

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Hannes on April 06, 2016, 08:21:44 AM
I got a pm by Matt for my first entry. For my second one I haven't received a message yet, but it was yesterday, so no need to hurry, I know.
I just want to be sure, that it's there.

I received a few seconds after sending a confirmation. Maybe you made a mistake in the transcript of your email address. I feel that the confirmation is done automatically.