Lighting

Started by yossam, April 01, 2016, 09:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

I think I already know the answer to this.................is it possible to mask a spotlight?

Hannes

Just a thought: what about putting a plane right in front of the light with an opacity map applied to it?

yossam

Hadn't thought about that............lets see what we get.

Thanks   :)

yossam

It works...........gonna have to fiddle with it some b4 it looks like I want it. Thanks for the idea............... :)

Hannes

Cool! You're welcome.

Mossie

Quote from: Hannes on April 01, 2016, 11:14:21 PM
Just a thought: what about putting a plane right in front of the light with an opacity map applied to it?

That's a good workaround Hannes, I gave it a go and it works pretty good! Thanks.

bobbystahr

For an animation effect you could make the plane huge with many bolts on it and animate a couple of lights moving willy nilly behind it....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

...or an animated opacity map.

Dune

Yes, cool idea; I guess if you make some lights and a plane with holes under it that moves a bit, you can get 'spotlights' moving around.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on April 04, 2016, 11:59:12 AM
Yes, cool idea; I guess if you make some lights and a plane with holes under it that moves a bit, you can get 'spotlights' moving around.

Yeah that works as well, figured it out on my old Amiga with Imagine3D and had to wait till it ported to pc to try it out, heh heh heh.
Great alien invasion effect as well as the scattered light from lightning flashes. It seems to me Imagine also had an animation F/X that did a flicker on the lights which worked as well...
I'd post an avi I did but it went out the kitchen window in 2010 with the rest of 13 years of my life....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist