Question I never asked but should have.

Started by TheBadger, April 07, 2016, 06:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

In the image map shader, there is the option to select either, position-center or position-lower left. I generally click one or the other and see what happens, so I can decide which may be better any any case. On a vertical surface for some reason, I don't understand what happens. On a flat surface projected down from above I see very clearly what happens and what the differences are.

1) I never understood why there are two options, and why center was not the one option. What is this designed for?

2) On a vertical surface, (when projected through a camera) I feel like I never can anticipate what the result will be, I always have to adjust displacement values and scale and such. And in the case of what I am dong now, I found position lower corner to work, don't know why though since I am using a image I made in PS, and the camera looks like it is where it should be....

Anyway, someone please explain the simple principal of this so I don't feel dumb any more.

I am not having problems really, just want to understand this setting better in case I am not using it to its full potential. Which is funny cuz its simple, but again, just don't know why there are the two options instead of the one.
It has been eaten.

AP

I never would have pondered that until you had brought it to attention. I always end up moving the image map to position-center, every time. I do not think in any case, ever that I kept it on the position-lower left. However, it does seem rather baffling as to why there are the two options there.

TheBadger

Ahh good, so my question has some merit. I was afraid every one knew but me... again. I was guessing that it was for a very specific reason, but can't guess what it is.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

For verticals I find a position(right click)the centre of say a cliff and paste it into the Image map shader with centre selected and I enter the actual reported size of my map to start with; and then; through a Transform shader between the Image map and Surface layer I Rotate the map around the X by the angle of the slope on the cliff I chose. Then, if I need, I add repeats and/or resize the map through the Image map shader which seems the easiest.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist