Objects with particle systems developed in Blender.

Started by luvsmuzik, April 07, 2016, 11:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I have the most beautiful rock object that has a moss particle system. I converted the particle system modifier used for the moss as hair, to the object, grouped it, tried to convert it to a sphere.....all sorts of things, but it comes into Terragen bald...any ideas. I know colors not this complicated stuff. Thanks in advance. I know you all use figures with hair so there has to be a way. Rock on the left looks wet with glossy applied, rock on the right with extreme length on moss so as you can see it.

bobbystahr

Could you post the object here? I think you'd be better off populating onto the rock with one of the free Moss models made by Chris in File Sharing myself as we can populate onto objects now. Particles aren't supported in TG so maybe that's your problem. Did you run it through PoseRay first?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

yossam

I know nothing about Blender except that I hate the UI. With that being said...............if it is like most other programs that have in program "hair", it will not export.  ???

luvsmuzik

@Bobby Stahr Thanks for all that advice. Yes I will eventually share this object. I tried several things and applying a grass obj pop works on the rock, however that adds an object to my scene :(. I do not have Poser, just old Blender. Rather than grab everyone else's skies, I like to make them in Terragen  ;D The object center is in the center of obj, making it sit half in terrain, so I have to fix that, and separate it from a grouped set of rocks, then I will share them individually. They have displacement modifiers attached, trying to eliminate yet another image file to track down....always something, isn't it? I cannot open a tgo file or edit in text editor like days of old, so I do what I can with what I got!

luvsmuzik

@ yossam  I hear ya on that UI. Think how I felt, I understand geometry (simple), and color, and a little geography. A person can only texture so many spheres and do a simple animation....  So I resigned myself to keep on trying. This is only a hobby, and you can always be doing something different when you get stalled. Things are moving along in most stuff though, I see. I am gonna see if I include the object used as hair is included in export, maybe that works.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 07, 2016, 03:44:30 PM
@Bobby Stahr Thanks for all that advice. Yes I will eventually share this object. I tried several things and applying a grass obj pop works on the rock, however that adds an object to my scene :(. I do not have Poser, just old Blender. Rather than grab everyone else's skies, I like to make them in Terragen  ;D The object center is in the center of obj, making it sit half in terrain, so I have to fix that, and separate it from a grouped set of rocks, then I will share them individually. They have displacement modifiers attached, trying to eliminate yet another image file to track down....always something, isn't it? I cannot open a tgo file or edit in text editor like days of old, so I do what I can with what I got!

You're welcome and I am sorry. having a full version one soon forgets the free version limitations.
I should have been more specific; PoseRay is a free conversion program a lot of us use to get our obj files in a flavour that TG eats, heh heh. It's also useful for making somtime absent parts  in the groups tab.
https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/home
In it in the Groups tab click Drop y to 0 and then next column click Origin and Transform and your object when exported from PoseRay will sit nicely on the ground.
If you have the .obj versions working well you can share those as well as most of us have .obj capacity or PoseRay; that way the colour and/or displacement maps can be included.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

@Bobby Stahr Can't thank you enough for the Poseray link. Imagine my surprise when I loaded a simple homemade grass object and in object preview I see dinosaurs! I can now name materials that I didn't and all that other fun stuff and get a preview before adding to TG scene. I remember with POV Ray you had to name colors and textures but I got lazy somewhere I guess. I was exporting a whole scene, thinking I selected the object on a different layer, and that is what was exported....WRONG. Thanks again.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 11, 2016, 10:28:05 AM
@Bobby Stahr Can't thank you enough for the Poseray link. Imagine my surprise when I loaded a simple homemade grass object and in object preview I see dinosaurs! I can now name materials that I didn't and all that other fun stuff and get a preview before adding to TG scene. I remember with POV Ray you had to name colors and textures but I got lazy somewhere I guess. I was exporting a whole scene, thinking I selected the object on a different layer, and that is what was exported....WRONG. Thanks again.

PoseRay and PhotoShop(or it's equivilant) and TG3.4 are all I have on my computer now a days and PR gets as much use as all of en together.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New