Perplexing Frustrations...

Started by choronr, August 27, 2007, 01:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I've  tried to get back to basics and create a simple scene using a minimum of layers with frustrating results. Initially, Layer 1 in a scene was set and fell exactly where I wanted it to; on the lowest part of the scene: the canyon floor. I added Layer 2, first as a new layer; then I tried it as a child layer with the following same result. The problem: Although the Layer 2 minimum altitude was set where the Layer 1 maximum left off, the Layer 2 still entirely covers Layer 1 ...this should not happen; but, it does.
It seems we can't follow a logical path while creating a scene. Planetside need to explain what logic we need to follow here; and, this applies to many other facets of this program

Bob

Volker Harun

Hi Bob,
I have gone this procedure quite often. And I cannot reproduce your results.

Of course the fuzzy zone of altitude restrictions is a bit difficult on 'flat' floors - but not that much that it turns impossible.

Do you have a file, to check?

Volker

choronr

Thank you Volker for taking the time to respond to this thread. I have attached the file which is very basic; yet, after making many adjustments and combinations of settings, I cannot stop Layer 2 from covering up Layer 1 (the floor of the canyon). I used an unnatural color for Layer 2 to accentuate it.

Bob

bigben

Hi Bob

In the TGD you uploaded you had the minimum altitude unchecked for Surface 2.  If you check it then the layer almost disappears because both the max (also checked) and min altitudes have a fuzzy zone of 200 but they're only 60 apart.

When all else seems to go wrong with setting altitude limits, start by disabling all slope constraints and set the fuzzy zone to 0. That will give you an idea of where each limit is and from there you can start tweaking the fuzzy zone.... then disable the altitude constraints and set your slope constraints.... then re-enable your altitude constraints.

The fuzzy zone for altitude is measured from the limit and extends into the surface e.g. max altitude = 1000, fuzzy = 200 gives you 0% surface at 1000 and 100% surface at 800. To overlap two surfaces then you need to match the 0% limit of one surface with the 100% limit of the other, otherwise you will get a gap between them.

or just look at the attached TGD  ;)

choronr

Thank you Ben; you've been a big help here. I will print this dialog from you and use it as a reminder of the process. Your reworked file will also be of help; but, I will follow your explanation so I can practice until the process penetrates my brain. Again, thanks for spending your time with this ; I really appreciate it.

Bob

Volker Harun

Buzzzzz

Remember me telling you to adjust the fuzzy zone. Glad to see I wasn't telling you wrong.  :) Hang in there bud.

bigben

I even understand it better myself now that I tried to sort this out ;)

choronr

Many thanks to all of you ...I am working now to make this work for me.