Merge shader question - how to stop it diluting output

Started by reck, April 14, 2016, 03:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

I want to create a mask for some grass consisting of a couple of simple shapes and a power fractal. To be able to combine 3 shaders to be a single mask for an object population I suppose I need to use a merge shader, right?

For testing purposes I linked the merge shader up to a power fractal with a bright pink colour so I could see the output on the ground. What i'm noticing is that once the colour comes out the merge shader the pink colour is no longer a bright pink but a washed out pink. How can I ensure the intensity stays consistent after it comes out a merge shader? I need it to be 100% so I don't get any grass coming onto it.

Merge shader is setup in mix mode set at 0.5 between the two shaders. Do I need anything in the mix controller?

Cheers.

bobbystahr

I just chain the SS shaders together and mask from the bottom one
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yes, that's the answer.
The mix controller does what it says; it controls the mix. So if you add a PF (or a simple shape for that matter), you can easily see what happens; the 2 inputs will be split according to the controller.

mhaze

reck

Ah looks like I was making it harder than it needed to be, thought I had to combine them using a merge shader but looking at Bobby's file I can see that chaining them works great.

I was battling with this for a while last night, should have just asked you guys  :D Thanks.

mhaze, I did try using "add" that sounded like the option to use but it didn't work. Not sure that the merge shaded can be used for this sort of thing.

Urantia Jerry

Thank you Bobby and Dune, I would like to use this method more myself.