Shadow catcher shader 01

Started by bobbystahr, April 13, 2016, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Anyone know what this is and/or how it'as used. Just 'stumbled' acrosst it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

I read about this new shader somewhere and forgot it somehow...
First I thought it's a shader, that makes objects invisible, but lets them cast shadows, but this can be achieved by just making the object invisible.

Just tested the shadow catcher shader, and it seems to apply two colours to the object, one where the light hits the object and another one, where it doesn't. There is no falloff, so it looks very rough. No idea yet, how it can be useful...

Dune

I've been wondering about it as well, but failed to get something decent out of it. I hope its creator may be able to give us some samples of use.

reck

What happens if you click ? for context help in the node? Maybe you'll find some info or examples there.

bobbystahr

It seems to work through a Surface layer better than in a Default layer so far for me. When I get a good result I'll post it here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on April 14, 2016, 11:28:34 AM

It is related to this thread :
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=20472.0

Cool, well I may have need of this once I grok what Ashley was doing...just read thru too fast to get to the point where Matt wrote the plugin...I guess I sub consciously expected this but failed to investigate in the 3.4 BETA...bad Bobby..
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I guess it's 'only' useful for comping parts, and getting the shadow out of TG, nothing fancy internally.

AP

Useful for live action video and 3d animation compositing, digital matte painting and static render composites. Anything else?

bobbystahr

Had a bit of a play around and tho nothing really worth sharing it can create some interesting 'still' effects as well; but good to know it's likely aimed mainly at animation.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

It's aimed at *compositing*, in an *external* application, not specifically animation. But probably of no use to you Bobby.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on April 15, 2016, 04:18:48 PM
It's aimed at *compositing*, in an *external* application, not specifically animation. But probably of no use to you Bobby.

- Oshyan

Not currently but I see where I can use it in the future, stills are also subjects for compositing and I have some hang over ideas from my Imagine3D days to explore.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New