Earth II

Started by FrankB, August 27, 2007, 02:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Thanks to pachalmars for his stars and nebulae clip file.

The continental shapes and clouds are my creation. The light from the nebulae doesn't allow the backside of Earth II to go entirely dark. Actually, only certain part of this planet are inhabitable.
For some reason, I'm not sure if I like the oceans of Earth II, but I'm not sure what it is...
But there are also other aspects I'm not so content with. I think making a good and realistic planet is a very difficult task.

Any hints?

Cheers,
Frank

old_blaggard

I really like your land textures on the land, although I think that the clouds could use a little more variety in shapes and colors.  Your ocean looks fine to me.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

I like the colors you have going there. I agree with O_b about the clouds and ocean. I understand how difficult it is get semi-reasonable cloud formations at this scale.  ::)

FrankB

well, actually, the clouds are earth imagery. they do look like this :-)

I'm more concerned with the overall cg look of the planet. It's nothing so much tangible, but I feel a real image from that distance would look different, wouldn't it?

regards,
Frank

bigben

The atmosphere is almost invisible. You'd have to make it more visible before deciding how much adjustment to do to the colours. 

I'm also wondering whether a less saturated blue for the atmosphere would work better for shots from space since you're not trying to make a blue background to the clouds. Just a thought.

FrankB

Good thought! Thank you!

rcallicotte

Very crisp.  And I like the terrain.  Something about it looks unreal, though...I think it's my concept of depth.  I love it that we have ways to make TG2 space effects.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

It's been a long time since I last tried my hands on making a realistic earth-like planet. I have never yet succeeded to my own standards. But I'm determined. ;D

I'll make a better one and post it here.

Regards and thanks so far,
Frank