Planet Surfacing

Started by nvseal, August 27, 2007, 03:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

This has been a little thing I've been working on for some weeks. The main goal being to create realistic looking planet surfacing up to a distance of about 100 km. It's not done, but it is close. Here are just some general renders. The first has no atmosphere so as to see the distribution (which, as you can see, I'm still working on).

nvseal

Another angle with atmosphere and some quick clouds from another study.

nvseal

An early render before oceans and plant life was added.

nvseal

And another angle.

old_blaggard

I think your clouds are the strongest part of this project right now, but I look forward to seeing where the land goes.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

From these heights, I think your textures and clouds are very good.  The strength, as o_b said, is your clouds.  But, the textures of the landmasses are good.  Not sure how you could make them exceptional, but if this is where you're going, good luck!  Great job.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Agree with the above. It looks very promising.
For the land. I would recommend more fuzziness. Much more!
Is the texture heightsensitive?
At least two height sensitive surface shader-sets that are blended randomly is what I would go for.
Interested in coop?

nvseal

The surfacing is purely 2d. Though there is some diplacement, the texturing is not relative to that displacement. I agree with your suggestion about the fuzzyness. At this time I'm working on fixing the larger scale blending.  I would be interested in coop, if you would like I can send you the tgd.

rcallicotte

Cool.  I can't wait to see what you two come up with. 

rcallicotte

Volker and nvseal -

Have you got anything for the general population yet or is this an "eyes only" project?   8)

nvseal

Well, the project is pretty much on the back burner right now. Volker has sent a file back to me but between college and my cloud project, I haven't delved into it completely (although I have looked at a bit). We'll just have to wait and see. I'll probably play some more with it this weekend.

Volker Harun

Well, I killed all surface shaders and kept the distributions. On those some faster shaders came to work. Typically I used my kind of desaturated colours, which might be changed ,-) if not binned ;)

rcallicotte

You can't rush genius.    ;D