secure email - protonmail, tutanota

Started by TheBadger, May 07, 2016, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey,

Was reading about the email dump on the dark net. Heard about services like "protonmail.com" what are your thoughts on e-mail services like the ones named here?

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/the-massive-password-breach-that-wasnt-google-says-data-is-98-bogus/

Encripted email is nice of course. I was very paranoid in the past regarding such things.
I think the reasons because i was paranoid are even worse now.
But i have adapted to the web...kinda...i don't care much now.
Just waiting to the day i will have trouble related to such problems...

AP

I have heard of those two alternatives. Not much to say since I have not looked into those. They are bookmarked though.

Here are some other possible alternatives.

https://opensource.com/life/15/9/open-source-alternatives-gmail

TheBadger

yeah, I have also heard that the data is mostly useless. I kinda feel like a lot of these reports are meant to make people think on the topic and cause them to change passwords and stuff. Sorta how shopping centers play music meant to effect the subconscious- the The Police - Every Breath You Take and things like that- meant to unnerve guilty feelings, I am told.

I guess what I really want to ask about, is the idea of encrypted e-mail in general. Do both the sender and receiver have to have the same set up? Because if you send from g-mail in an unencrypted form, how then does it become an encrypted communication?

I am only guessing, but I was thinking that the encryption is just for the saving of emails and the info in them. So that after you get them you can archive them. Yeah, I could read up I know, but its a lot easier to learn if someone already knows the real facts of this, besides, if I start reading about security in computing I ll be doing it until I die :-\

I worked for a government agency a while back. Their system was hacked and my personal data was taken along with how ever many others. The agency sent me a notice of the event and a one year membership in a credit monitoring service (no word about what I should do after the free membership ended)... I would much rather that my government knew what the fuck it was doing with respect to anything at all, but also in computing. The worthless bastards can't even build a website if you gave them a billion dollars...

The internet super highway is as run down as the street in front of my house!

Bhaa!

Well anyway, thanks for any more info/thoughts on the topic.
It has been eaten.