population on object problem

Started by otakar, May 02, 2016, 01:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

I am trying to populate a TGO on an OBJ for the first time. Object is about 2 long. Population of mosses spaced 5cm. Total of 788 instances generated. Here is the result. Clearly, something is not working. I tried checking and unchecking lean to terrain/object normal, no difference. On the bottom is one instance of the object (loaded seperately as a single object) for reference. Any ideas?

yossam

Is the population at the same coordinates as your object? The population area only needs to be big enough to cover your anchor object, you may need to reduce your spacing of the population. All else fails post the tgd.  :)

otakar

Yep. Population size is 10x10, same origin. There is something going on, looks like those hundreds of instances are all bunched together on the handful of spots as you can see from the render. But why?

yossam

Looks like a job for the other Terragen............. :P

Kadri

Interesting.
Hard to know for sure but if you have a density shader attached to the population i would first disable it and see what it does.
Might be many object sitting in a certain way and many of them very close to each other.

TheBadger

Quote from: yossam on May 02, 2016, 05:03:01 PM
Looks like a job for the other Terragen............. :P

lol
Feed it to the carp!
It has been eaten.

otakar

It must be my object (created in Sculptris), exported through Poseray. I replaced it with a TGO and the populator works on that one just fine. Still not sure why though.

yossam

AP

Quote from: yossam on May 02, 2016, 07:17:07 PM
Herpes............... ???

Maybe...

Anyways, good to see the issue resolved.

Dune

So this a different object? I am inclined to think that the Blender tgo wasn't at 0/0/0 as an object. Then you get weird stuff.

otakar

That's not it, Dune. I went back and checked. Must be something with the geometry of the Sculptris exported object.

If someone wants to take a look, I am attaching the model. Not that it's anything of high quality, but it would be nice to have a working Sculptris->TG workflow for this scenario. Thanks again! 

Kadri

The model doesn't have any problem that i could see at least.
But there is something kinda strange thing when you rotate the object itself.
When you populate an object as it is imported to Terragen without any rotation there is no problem.
But when you begin to rotate it the population gets kind of stepped.
0,90 kinda angles are OK i think. But anything between looks not like you would expect mostly.
Even when you use other seeds for the population the objects gets populated nearly all the time at the same places.

I used a basic model to test and that had the same problem.

Kadri

You can see a test of a basic cube that is rotated 45 degree below.
No matter what you use as object spacing or space variation they are always populated where you see the lines basically in this test.

[attachimg=1]

Dune

When you open the dead branch in Poseray it says; no vertices... that may be the problem then.

Dune

Mmmm, when you import in TG it works perfectly.