population on object problem

Started by otakar, May 02, 2016, 01:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Kadri, you cracked the case it seems! It's the rotation, particularly the Z-axis. I got it rendering now with a smaller degree of rotation, seems to be working just fine.

Original object rotation: xyz: -240, 20, -23
New object rotation: xyz: 0, 40, -2

Is this a bug?

Kadri

I tried to populate an object a couple weeks ago and had problems.
It was the same problem probably. Good to know at least.

bobbystahr

Thanks....So that's it, solves a problem I had as well but didn't post as I figgered I just did something dumb...then typically got distracted by something else and forgot about....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Seems I misunderstood the problem, glad it's solved.

Kadri

I hope Matt and Oshyan have seen this. It looks like a thread that belongs to the support-bug report section.
They aren't much around here lately. Probably are busy with TG4 and-or the VR challange.

Oshyan

We're both still here. I would still suspect the coordinate origin in the object is the issue. But I haven't taken a look at the object itself. Who was it who verified that the coordinate origin was OK?

- Oshyan

Kadri

Oshyan even the basic Terrragen objects become problematic for populations when you rotate them.
I just tested the normal and displaceable default Terragen cube object.
With 45 degree rotation for example you will see only rows of populated objects.
I used the default rock object for population just too see that all objects where from Terragen even.

Dune

I don't understand your experiment, Kadri. It works fine, AFAIK, both on the rotated cube or a rotated log.

Kadri

As i said if you use something like 45 it doesn't work. With 90 it should work.

Dune

Kadri

OK i will try and post an example. Curious what is happening.
It would be nice to see your file too Ulco.

Untill i can post it can you lower the spacing and scale of the populated object and render again Ulco ?
Maybe the scale and spacing is the reason it doesn't show up in your example.

Kadri

Try this file Ulco:

[attachimg=1]

ajcgi

You might want to check that you've only one set of normals defined.

As an example, Maya has a lovely trick where it creates a User Normals Cluster with its own UV space separate to that read by most other applications. If I model something in Maya then take it to Softimage, the UVs are screwed until I delete that User Normal Cluster.

This is one of a few reasons why I've kept my 10 years old license of Deep Exploration. Being able to import a model then export it with UVs to a ridiculously old format anything can read is a very handy thing indeed.

Kadri

Quote from: ajcgi on May 06, 2016, 05:28:22 AM
You might want to check that you've only one set of normals defined.
As an example, Maya has a lovely trick where it creates a User Normals Cluster with its own UV space separate to that read by most other applications. If I model something in Maya then take it to Softimage, the UVs are screwed until I delete that User Normal Cluster.
This is one of a few reasons why I've kept my 10 years old license of Deep Exploration. Being able to import a model then export it with UVs to a ridiculously old format anything can read is a very handy thing indeed.

Have you tried the file above? Those are Terragen objects. Nothing i made myself.

Other then the file above i tried a very basic cube i made in Lightwave.
Then tried many things in Poseray and used that exported object too.
Changed the center of the object, played with many different settings in Terragen related to the object and whatnot...
It is always problematic whatever i tried.

Did you tried it yourself? Really just make a cube change the X rotation only to 45 degree
If you get it working please share the file and object because i can not think right now about any other reason...

Dune

Very strange indeed. It must be the small sizes and perhaps the way the cube is built. If you enlarge there is less of a problem, and on another rock it works perfectly.