Final position vs. Position in texture/terrain: A visual aid

Started by sboerner, May 25, 2021, 02:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Quote from: sboerner on May 26, 2021, 11:32:59 AMOr do you just not worry about it?
I don't really. Colors in nature are wild and quite unpredictable anyway, and I've never heard anyone complaining about mismatched colors in my scenes. Not even in the latest shorescene, where it also occurs ;)  The main problem I'm having is to color fake stones and get the stone colors onto the stones and not in the soil around it, or soil color over part of the stones. Fiddling with an XYZ usually does the trick to update color space, using a world transform after the stones often doesn't.

And to really match smaller colors and displacements to updated (by compute terrain) geometry, you'd indeed need a small patch size, like Jordan says, especially when working in detail, and not vast mountainous areas, where you can easily delete the compute terrain (not always though).
My 2 cents.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 27, 2021, 02:48:41 AM
Quote from: sboerner on May 26, 2021, 11:32:59 AMOr do you just not worry about it?
I don't really. Colors in nature are wild and quite unpredictable anyway, and I've never heard anyone complaining about mismatched colors in my scenes. Not even in the latest shorescene, where it also occurs ;)  The main problem I'm having is to color fake stones and get the stone colors onto the stones and not in the soil around it, or soil color over part of the stones. Fiddling with an XYZ usually does the trick to update color space, using a world transform after the stones often doesn't.

And to really match smaller colors and displacements to updated (by compute terrain) geometry, you'd indeed need a small patch size, like Jordan says, especially when working in detail, and not vast mountainous areas, where you can easily delete the compute terrain (not always though).
My 2 cents.

If you do need, like let's say intersections at a distance or something, mixing in two compute terrains by distance works wonders. Get the best of both worlds. Foreground is nicely detailed, and can still have snow favoring depressions on distant mountains, but not favoring tiny patch sizes like your foreground

KaseyBear

Quote from: Dune on May 27, 2021, 02:48:41 AM

And to really match smaller colors and displacements to updated (by compute terrain) geometry, you'd indeed need a small patch size, like Jordan says, especially when working in detail, and not vast mountainous areas, where you can easily delete the compute terrain (not always though). employee monitoring
My 2 cents.
User can see Colors and Texture. But only the texture space is effected by a compute terrain? Because that doesn't seem to be the case in TG. Colour and displacement will follow the compute terrain won't it

sboerner

QuoteBut only the texture space is effected by a compute terrain?
Compute terrain updates position in terrain/texture and normals. Normally you place it between terrain and shaders -- displacements and color -- but it depends on the scene. Usually I add very small-scale displacements after the compute terrain.

WAS

I think this is a bot. They injected a link into the quote. Ulco would never do that.

Dune

I had the vague feeling he was a spammer, suddenly appearing with a few questions and remarks... but he did a 'good' job at it, not just the usual blablabla. But I wonder how stupid these guys are; do they really think anyone would click a link like that? I don't see the point in these spamming actions.