Extreme up-close video of tornado near Wray, CO!

Started by AP, May 12, 2016, 05:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

AP

This is another storm related video, this time a Supercell time lapse.

https://youtu.be/ZUFGx68gyLk

AP

The first link I bookmarked the other day but the second link I had not seen yet.

Thinking about this for Terragen, it has been quite the challenge to even remotely recreate such cloud structures. The extreme convection, the striations, the mesocyclone vortex features, and lest we forget the fantastic colors with such storm systems.

For example, I read that the tallest clouds known can be up to 22,860 meters tall but accurately representing that scale and look within Terragen is very hard to achieve.

Dune

bobbystahr

If anyone can make one of these I think it'd be Hannes based on his last vortex animation....At least in the 2nd one they were driving *away* from the storm. I found the 1st one very un nerving as the were always chasing the GD tornado
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

An inverted vortex wall is possible. However, then it becomes more complex. It could be done with a few cloud layers. Although, the less layers the better. Luc Bianco's clouds can be a good start but that only serves the tall billowy cumulonimbus at the moment. We still need the the striations which to my knowledge had never been done before. That also should be possible. I have been running some more experiments but having good realistic cloud height alone is challenging.

Matt

Do we have any real life storm chasers here on this forum? I'm looking for a vacation after TG4 comes out!

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

Not I. Such fascinating storms never occur here.

yossam

Storm chasing is gonna help you relax? The closest I have ever been to a tornado was when I was visiting relatives in Indiana...........we were within a quarter mile of the funnel and it sounded like the gates of hell were flung open. Found out later it was a F3. That was plenty close enough for me. But you want to get up close and personal.................more power to you. If I run across any I'll be sure to steer them your way.  ;)

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Matt on May 13, 2016, 08:34:18 PM
Do we have any real life storm chasers here on this forum? I'm looking for a vacation after TG4 comes out!

Matt

Can't you just watch 'Twister' again?

AP

Hannes

Quote from: bobbystahr on May 13, 2016, 03:38:34 PM
If anyone can make one of these I think it'd be Hannes based on his last vortex animation....At least in the 2nd one they were driving *away* from the storm. I found the 1st one very un nerving as the were always chasing the GD tornado

Which vortex animation are you referring to, Bobby?  ???

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on May 15, 2016, 04:54:22 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on May 13, 2016, 03:38:34 PM

Which vortex animation are you referring to, Bobby?  ???

didn't you do a cloud vortex one...sorry for the delay...potheimers syndrome
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist