Analysing slopes

Started by ajcgi, May 23, 2016, 11:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcgi

Is it possible to analyse slopes in a more advanced way than just their slope or elevation?
Ideally I want to be able to automatically find bits that aren't rough and roughen them up, and only those areas.
I know there are ways of generating terrain with erosion mattes and so on, but let's say I've already done that and want to find remaining areas of smoothness. I guess that's what I'm after - a smoothness analyser.
Another thing I'd like to be able to do is to apply shaders based on their slope in x,y, or z directions rather than all directions.

Dune

Interesting thought. If you work with fractals (their colors) for basics, you might be able to use those as masks and not needing to have to find smooth areas. But I agree a smoothness finder would be very handy, though difficult to implement, I'm sure.
For the latter you'd have to work with the 'get normal' blue stuff, I suppose. Get your angles from there.

ajcgi

Yes I've come up with some stuff that nearly works in that regards. Just need some spare time to refine it rather than doing it on a live project. :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd like a smoothness analyser. I've kinda done something similar in other software but not TG.