Getting Very Fricking Frustrated! GRRRRRRRRR

Started by Buzzzzz, August 29, 2007, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo

Hi Matt,

Quote from: Matt on September 05, 2007, 10:14:56 AM
If your PC renders faster than the Mac then it is perhaps understandable that the UI is faster on your PC. Can you post some render time comparisons so we have an idea of the basic relative performance of your computers?

Read my message above for an explanation of why the network view, which is one of the parts of the UI efflux was talking about, can be slower on the Mac than on Windows. Nothing to do with render speeds.

Regards,

Jo

efflux

I got around to doing a quick comparison test. The results:

PC P4 3.0 GHz:

0.04:36s

PowerMac G5 2.0 GHz dual core (obviously only using one core):

0.05.59s

So the Mac's single core is faster than the GHz label implies. Probably the dual core helps here as well even although TG is only using one core but I can't imagine by that much.

jo

Hi efflux,

I've found the same as you - Macs seem to render a wee bit faster clock-for-clock. However my Intel iMac, which is slower than my G5, renders faster than my G5, so that's interesting. It may be that Core/Core Duo based machines are faster clock-for-clock for rendering that our G5s and P4s.

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

P4s will be notably slower clock-for-clock than G5's or Athlon's and certainly slower compared to Core 2's. The P4 architectural approach was designed to pump the Ghz up as high as possible as fast as possible and it relied on this for performance gains until it hit a wall around 3.6Ghz. Meanwhile Athlon's were matching or beating performance at 1Ghz lower clock speed or more. It's all in the relative efficiency of the architecture...

- Oshyan

HooDoo

Sorry, if I post in wrong thread, this looks appropiate :)

Just quick question...

The problem is: render takes only 50% of my CPU. I'm on the WinXP, P4 2.60Ghz.

I know there is such thing as HT (HyperThreading), which can be turned off or on. I believe, its now turned ON (?)

So the question is - will HT Off speed up my render (taking 99% of CPU) or its not important?

Thanks!

Oshyan