Bugs: Deleting shader networks, importing .OBJ files

Started by commorancy, November 28, 2010, 04:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commorancy

Quote from: Oshyan on November 28, 2010, 11:15:47 PM
Which suggests it may not be a part of the "standard" (such as it is).

- Oshyan

That may be true.

That said, Poseray (when I used it in the past) and Carrara both load exported Daz Studio .OBJ files and display the image maps.  Poser has the same issue of not being able to find the texture map, except it requests for them.  Note, I ran into this issue several months back and forgot to report it as I found a workaround.  I just thought it might be worth pointing out here.

I've looked around regarding the spec of the .MTL file and there's some question surrounding how to properly handle paths with spaces within the .MTL.  The issue is that on Windows, paths with spaces are very common.  Apparently though, with most .OBJ loaders, spaces in paths and/or filenames are not very well tolerated (if at all).   Since Alias/Wavefront wasn't built originally on Windows, Windows paths weren't considered when designing the .MTL format.  In Windows, it's actually quite typical to surround paths with quote marks when it contains spaces. I'm sure Daz considered all of these issues and compromised by using quotes to surround the path in case it contains spaces.

See this thread discussing spaces in file/paths in the MTL at http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-564299.html

I will file a bug/enhancement report with Daz to have them allow an export option of adding or not adding quotes on texture maps within their export panel.  Note, Daz's product release cycles are extremely slow when it comes to Daz Studio, so I wouldn't expect to see a fix in Daz Studio for at least a year.

Thanks.

jo

Hi,

I will add a check for quoted paths in the OBJ loading code. I have changed it to tolerate spaces but I have to say I didn't think of quoted paths.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Regarding the Parts shader, not being able to delete those is by design. However we will have to reconsider that as setting up a common shader set for objects is something people obviously want to do.

And I'll have to figure out how to prevent that workaround Klas mentioned ;-).

Regards,

Jo

commorancy

Quote from: jo on November 29, 2010, 01:25:25 AM
I will add a check for quoted paths in the OBJ loading code. I have changed it to tolerate spaces but I have to say I didn't think of quoted paths.

Regarding the Parts shader, not being able to delete those is by design. However we will have to reconsider that as setting up a common shader set for objects is something people obviously want to do.

Regards,

Jo

Thanks Jo.  I look forward to the update (and all the new features, like DOF) ;D

--Brian

Dune

Sometimes it's possible to delete the 'old' part shaders in an object, but I wouldn't know (never pursued it) why. I sometimes only replace the default shaders, and delete the old one, that works.

dandelO

Quote from: jo on November 29, 2010, 01:25:25 AM

Regards,

Jo

Damnit! :D

dduane

Quote from: Henry Blewer on November 28, 2010, 10:10:18 AM
Have you tried to load the obj files into PoseRay first? It may strip the quotes. It also will map the images onto the objects so Terragen 2 renders them correctly.

I hope this helps.  http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/  (the Poseray download site)

Henry, I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I was having the same problem as some of the other posters in the thread, and this solved it.

Thanks again! -- Diane
Diane Duane | The Owl Springs Partnership | Co. Wicklow, Ireland
SF and fantasy fiction from the author via Amazon or https://ebooks.direct