Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Inspired by Ulco being inspired by myself ( ;)) I decided to try another ocean water animation.
Here is a frame for testing the surface. I used Oleg's fantastic rock and sea (or something like that)- sea foam file for the foam patterns. There are three water shaders: a dark one, a brighter blueish one and a greenish one for the more transparent peaks of the waves (could be a bit more transparent?!).
I already did some animation tests and will post something as soon as possible. There is no GI in the scene and not even shadows, but since there are no other objects, it's not too obvious, at least for testing.

DocCharly65

This will be absolutely outrageous, man! I am looking forward to it!
If you get it, you must teach me too, please (... in 2021 ... for the next movie)  ;D ;D ;D

In fact I was sure that an ocean scene must be possible since I played with the 4D noise in my swimming pool with the duck...

I am looking forward to your ocean!  :) :o 8)

Dune

Great! Very inspirational  ;D

Hannes

Here is a first attempt. I'll carry on researching...

DocCharly65

This is genius! I am absolutely speechless!

mhaze

Kadri

Looks good. Twice the speed maybe?

dorianvan

I like it a lot. The different shade give it a richer/more real look. Looks like you have too much sea foam, but I am no expert on sea foam density :) You mentioned rocks in your first post here, are you using them somewhere? The water and wave depths look fantastic. I wonder if you could get a floating ball in there.
-Dorian

Hannes

Thanks guys!
Actually I'm not really happy with it. There is definitely too much foam, and the movement of the waves could be better. I did some ocean water animations in 3ds max during the last years, and in TG there is no way (at least that I know of) to implement something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vddiJDD4WXY
not only vertical displacement, but this kind of horizontal displacement as well.

I'm still testing things and I'm trying to displace a plane in all directions. I hope I can create something in TG that looks at least similar to one of my attempts in Max I did a few years ago (see attached file - did I post this already somewhere?)

Hannes

Another test. The texture is only for testing. Two PFs animated by transform shaders and fed into a redirect shader.

Dune

It's freakin' fascinating  :o Some weird stuff here and there, but a cool progress. You'll get it fixed, I just know it!

Hannes

Thanks Ulco!! Unfortunately it's an imported plane, which looks weird when "smooth normals" is checked. Unchecking helps, but then it's kind of facetted. :( :( :(

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on June 07, 2016, 01:14:27 PM
Thanks Ulco!! Unfortunately it's an imported plane, which looks weird when "smooth normals" is checked. Unchecking helps, but then it's kind of facetted. :( :( :(

I had a similar sounding problem with an object too.
Couldn't find the problem then. I will have a closer look when i have time. Curious.

dorianvan

When you get the water right it would be cool to do a ball test or maybe your ship. Nice work so far. Max water looked great; was it only Max or was there a plugin?
-Dorian

Dune

Why do this on an imported plane, why not an internal one? Or a cube, if you wish.