Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Another test for creating a more convincing displacement animation. No reflective shader yet. Just testing...

Stormlord

Just Testing...

To make a long story short. it looks absolutely amazing. Excellent animation !

STORMLORD

Hannes

The last try before my vacancies. See you in two weeks...

Hetzen

Enjoy your holiday Hannes.

I've been watching this for a while. It's something I played with a few years back and was interested in what you came up with.

I think there are three factors with ocean waves. There's a wind direction, an undulation in that direction and a static movement with the in-between water that undulates.

There was a great documentary about bubbles on BBC4 and they went down to Southampton University, where they had a wave tank. They showed that in waves, the water itself doesn't move, it's the energy that flows through it. So a load of ducks floating on the top just ride the wave and stood laterally still.

I see some back stretching going on in the last animation which probably has more relevance on a shore line as an undercurrent allows the top current to fall over itself.

Dune

Indeed, I've mentioned the non-movement of the water (might be in pm though) despite the waves 'moving'. So foam will remain quite static as well (unless perhaps the wind is so strong it will blow it across the static water). There's a bit of happy accident if you move the waves and let the foam exist only on tops; it will fade out after the wave top has passed, which looks quite natural, I think.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 27, 2016, 02:38:32 AM
Indeed, I've mentioned the non-movement of the water (might be in pm though) despite the waves 'moving'. So foam will remain quite static as well (unless perhaps the wind is so strong it will blow it across the static water). There's a bit of happy accident if you move the waves and let the foam exist only on tops; it will fade out after the wave top has passed, which looks quite natural, I think.
Indeed, killing time I stopped here and caught up and that's what struck me on loop in vlc of the last movie
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Guys,  I can't stop looking at the waves here in Greece without thinking how to achieve this in TG.
So much inspiration here!

DocCharly65

Don't let fall the tablet pc into the water  ;D ;D ;D

Have much fun  8) :)

Hannes

Tablet-PC??? Just a tiny little smartphone! I know, if I had a PC with me, I'd use it here! So instead I'm rather drinking beer!  ;D ;D ;D

Dune

Imagine sitting with a cold beer on a sun-drenched terrace surrounded by olive trees and watching the gentle waves rolling in, and having a laptop right in front of you with TG installed  ::)

Hannes

If I had a six weeks holiday, that would be indeed cool, but during these two weeks I very much enjoy not to be distracted from the beauty of the real world.  :)

Dune

Enjoy every minute of it, Hannes!

Hannes

A test using a population of a simple boat model (no shadows, no GI and stuff!). It's just one instance (a bit tricky, because like Ulco said, sometimes some more instances are appearing and disappearing. They have to be deleted in edit mode.)
For the crests I used a trick. I rendered an image sequence of the crests from straight up with an additional camera, edited this sequence in AE to get some sort of trails, and used the same camera again in an image map shader to project it back on the surface as a mask.
Still not happy with it, but I'll keep on fighting!

DocCharly65

Respect for your fight!

Looking forward to see the final vessel cruising there.
I lazy old guy would animate a motor boat...  horrible thoughts about animating in the wind fluttering sails and rigging  ;D  ;)

But no doubt! You'll do it  :)