Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Quote from: dorianvan on June 08, 2016, 12:26:42 AM
...was it only Max or was there a plugin?

There's a free plugin named Houdini Ocean Toolkit , which is based on some theory by Jerry Tessendorf. Don't ask me further about it, I just copied and pasted the name  ;) ;) ;)
Dreamscape by SitniSati is based on the same theory as far as I know.

Quote from: Dune on June 08, 2016, 01:49:05 AM
Why do this on an imported plane, why not an internal one? Or a cube, if you wish.

I wasn't able to do this on the internal plane. I used the mesh deformer input of the imported model, which doesn't seem to exist for the internal one.

I'll try some other (internal) objects. I think, it won't look like the examples I posted, but I hope I can get a little closer.

Hannes

OK, I was a little bit too fast, saying, it doesn't work. I created an internal plane, copied the displacement stuff I used as mesh deformer for the imported plane, pasted it into the shader network of the internal one and connected it to the input slot of the default shader. worked. I'll keep you informed...

Hannes

Another test with the internal plane (the good thing is, it can be resized without destroying the mapping)
Just simple shaders for testing. I used the Intersect underlying (Favour rises) function for the crests and the falloff.

Dune

I used an internal plane in my attempts, and the whites of the wave base PF for the driving of the foam. But your method also works. Nice playing, huh?

j meyer

Promising results so far, keep experimenting.

KlausK

Well done!
Having a go at this since you and Dune started to post your results myself.
But I am far from anything good looking still atm.
Would be interested in a little howto as well.
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Hannes on June 07, 2016, 09:38:59 AM
Another test. The texture is only for testing. Two PFs animated by transform shaders and fed into a redirect shader.

I am trying to use one of 250 EXR frame files as an image map from an animation made in another program for a still image. Seeing your test here is relatively what I already have with 250 images. They are cached bw exr images like a mask.....I have applied one exr as an image map , through projection camera, to a plane and experimenting, alpha is ok. Am I on the right path here? My displacement seems to float above the plane, transparency and translucency enabled.

Hannes

Another one in low res. No water shader, just default ones with an additional reflective shader. The foam pattern is a static image. I tried to use a procedural one (Oleg's file), but this one looked best.

Dune

Yes, very natural.

DocCharly65

Hannes

An update. Better quality and improved displacement. Still struggling to use clouds as spray from the tops of the waves.

DocCharly65

Wow! That gets bet and better.

Could you perhaps check this: rendering and showing a single frame in 1280x720 with detail at 0.4 e.g.?

I very often made the experience, that the lo-res versions (especially low detail settings) look great and the high resolution image is a catastrophy.

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 19, 2016, 08:27:55 AM
Wow! That gets bet and better.

Could you perhaps check this: rendering and showing a single frame in 1280x720 with detail at 0.4 e.g.?

I very often made the experience, that the lo-res versions (especially low detail settings) look great and the high resolution image is a catastrophy.

Thanks Nils!
This animation was rendered at 800X450 px with Detail 0.8 and AA 9. Not too low quality, but of course a higher resolution might reveal some nasty flaws... :(