Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

0.8! Ah, ok... Then I have good hope for you that there will be not too bad surprises at higher resolutions.  :)

Hannes

Hopefully, yes. At the moment I'm rendering a Full HD image at 0.8/9. I'll post it as soon as possible.

Hannes

Here it is. Obviously some problems with the specularity. These highlights look nasty!

DocCharly65

oh yes ... the highlights-problem... I know. But for a view onto a water surface I think that blinking will be ok in the animation - even an advantage.

But in general a great view und great waves.

Last Nitpicking (for today ;)  )
I guess in movement the foam will look even better. As still shot the whitecaps look a bit like massive material. But I couldn't even come close to this great look. Well done!

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 19, 2016, 11:21:58 AM
...As still shot the whitecaps look a bit like massive material. But I couldn't even come close to this great look. Well done!

Yes, I noticed that too. I'll have to work on that...

Hannes

Another try. I used a distance shader to get less whitecaps in the distance (a suggestion by my wife).

Dune

Yes, the distant whitecaps could disturb. You can do the same with highlights, btw. There's an issue here with some vdisp/twist to the left; some small black areas. Did you get the cloud foam spatters to work here, or what are they, stones?

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2016, 02:18:46 AM
There's an issue here with some vdisp/twist to the left; some small black areas. Did you get the cloud foam spatters to work here, or what are they, stones?

You spotted it! ;)  Unfortunately it's nothing I could just remove. No clouds, no stones. I guess it's some reflection issue. I'll have to take care of that.

Hannes

A test with some sort of reflecting waves (two horizontally animated PFs with opposite directions)

Dune

That's nice. It would work well for a river, where stones will redirect the waves and give such disturbance. It would almost look like if you'd raise these waves quite a bit the returning waves may cause the ongoing to break! Probably it won't work that way unless with use of tilting, but the idea is nice.

DocCharly65

Works already very good in my eyes!

Hannes

One more. At least I could make the foam pattern, which is a static texture, be distorted horizontally. The crests are made by use of the intersect underlying feature with an additional compute terrain node. Still far away from perfect, but I'll keep on researching.
On Monday I'll be in Greece for two weeks. Maybe I can get some inspiration there...

dorianvan

Dramatic. Very nice work Hannes! Just needs some ocean sounds and some vomit sounds.  Love the greenish tints and the sitting whitewater. What's amazing is that it keeps looking better. I want to learn how you did this (tutorial?). Question. If you had a large object like a rock jutting out, the water wouldn't react right? Really cool!
-Dorian

Dune

Great, Hannes. The camera move really makes you sick, though.

DocCharly65

Absolute convincing view Hannes!

I wish you good times and a lot of inspiration in Greece  8)