Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks, Nils!!
Here's another quick and dirty one with shadows, environment light and GI (plus flicker!!! >:()

Dune

Do you have two sets of waves on a 90º angle? On the left side that's quite remarkable. If so, I'd reduce that angle.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 14, 2016, 04:39:56 AM
Do you have two sets of waves on a 90º angle? On the left side that's quite remarkable. If so, I'd reduce that angle.

Indeed. In some reference videos it just looked like this, but maybe it looks better with a lower angle. I'll try that. Thanks for your suggestion, Ulco.

dorianvan

-Dorian

Hannes

Thanks!!!
Next iteration. Still lots of things to do... (cloud layer as the boatwake's spray for example...)

DocCharly65

Thats just WOW! Great great great, Hannes!

I see some little things but I am too respectfully silent at the moment to nitpick. I'll just will wait for the coming anims :-)

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 18, 2016, 04:38:10 AM
Thats just WOW! Great great great, Hannes!

I see some little things but I am too respectfully silent at the moment to nitpick. I'll just will wait for the coming anims :-)

Thanks, Nils!!! Feel free to nitpick. I know there's a lot of things that have to be improved. At the moment I broke up the crests a bit, since they are looking kind of solid. I added an additional displacement for the wake, and the animation of the sails (yes they are animated - barely visible, I know) could be better.

DocCharly65

I have seen that with the sails and I knew, that you are doing hard work on it. And because I am working on a tgd of a kind mentor to get a coast with waves, I know how hard it is. So nitpicking is no fun (and with my 0.00 zero bluenodes-knowledge even not helpful) ...  ;)

Hannes

To me as well these blue nodes are still a mystery... :(

Dune

Super, Hannes! Yes, there are some tiny things, but you're really getting there. Is this single ship, not a pop?

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 18, 2016, 06:32:00 AM
Super, Hannes! Yes, there are some tiny things, but you're really getting there. Is this single ship, not a pop?

Thanks, Ulco! Yes, I started with a pop, but the motion was too rough, so I used a single object. Well spotted!

Dune

Well, it doesn't move (or does it, just a little?)  ;) I requested objects to be able to have some sort of 'sit on' and 'refresh every frame' option; would be very handy for these things.

Hannes

The actual one is a single object (with a subtle little handanimation).
In my previous tests I used pops and a compute terrain with an appropriate gradient patch size. It works somehow, but most of the time it doesn't really look like a ship moving through water imho.
So if the animation isn't too long it's not too complicated to create a little motion per hand.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on July 19, 2016, 03:57:03 AM
So if the animation isn't too long it's not too complicated to create a little motion per hand.

absolutely dito  ;)

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on July 19, 2016, 03:57:03 AM
The actual one is a single object (with a subtle little handanimation).
In my previous tests I used pops and a compute terrain with an appropriate gradient patch size. It works somehow, but most of the time it doesn't really look like a ship moving through water imho.

Have you tried  a second invisible much smoother ground for the crowd sim Hannes?
You could offset it even for a different look.