Ocean

Started by Hannes, June 05, 2016, 06:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

A short updated version. I reworked the sails animation (there's a strange upwards movement now, I'll have to take care of).
And I worked on the animated PF for the cloud layer that represents the spray. I know it's a bit over the top, but at least you can see, what I have in mind.

Kadri

Nice. Curious how the final will be. I am always worried about the difference with low and high quality.
Besides the points you mentioned it looks very encouraging. How are the render times?
I hope you can make the final in HD?

Hannes

Quote from: Kadri on July 24, 2016, 05:05:49 AM

Nice. Curious how the final will be. I am always worried about the difference with low and high quality.
Besides the points you mentioned it looks very encouraging. How are the render times?
I hope you can make the final in HD?

Thanks Kadri,

at this resolution (800 X 450px), Detail/AA 0.4/4, GI 2/2, GISD on, soft shadows on, it takes 4-6 minutes per frame, which is not too bad, but I'm afraid rendertimes will explode, when I increase the settings.
I'll see.

Dune

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the spray cloud. And regarding the upward movement; how did you animate the sails? By translating a PF? Perhaps a horizontal vector displace kind of warp will work better?

DocCharly65

Great work Hannes!

I think the same as Ulco about the spray clouds. For me it's an absolutely convincing view!
The sails animation looks good ok far - I am curious how it looks in higher resolution.

Now it's time for the HD version?! Some more seconds length?
I wish you so much good luck for finalizing...  :)

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 24, 2016, 09:53:17 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the spray cloud. And regarding the upward movement; how did you animate the sails? By translating a PF? Perhaps a horizontal vector displace kind of warp will work better?

I was so happy to get that working, I NEED to refine this. I'll make it a lot more subtle. Doing some tests atm.
Yes, the sails are animated by translating PFs. I know this works, I did that before, but the settings weren't good. Unfortunately there's no way (yet!!!!!!  ;)) to easily preview deformed meshes in animation.

Nils, Thanks for your kind words!
I'm not sure if there will be some more seconds. I'm a little bit afraid, that rendertime per frame will be hours instead of minutes in HD.

Dune

Yes, I can imagine that. But I hope render time will weigh up against visibility and impact of your hardwon feature  ;)

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 25, 2016, 09:13:34 AM
Yes, I can imagine that. But I hope render time will weigh up against visibility and impact of your hardwon feature  ;)

Hopefully, yes!  ;) ;)

Hannes

Here is a still image in higher resolution and with better quality settings (especially for you, Jon! ;)).
It took 1 hour and 20 minutes to render.

I hope my beloved spray cloud is subtle enough!

Dune

It is, and it's a great image. Are you using transparency? Using part of my setup with some underlying sea colors and a reflective shader and translucency and such, might have a positive effect on render time.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on July 25, 2016, 10:11:46 AM
Are you using transparency? Using part of my setup with some underlying sea colors and a reflective shader and translucency and such, might have a positive effect on render time.

Thanks Ulco,

not really. When I started this project I used simple surface layers with reflective shaders and some smaller displacement additionally to the major waves for the water.
But I found out that a water shader with subsurface transparency set to 0 doesn't take much longer to render. For the brighter (blueish) areas I used a water shader with some subsurface. These are very small areas, so it's OK.
I think the spray cloud has the most influence on rendertimes. Especially when it's conformed to the "terrain". (...but I want it so badly!!!!!! ;) ;) ;))

I just rendered a GI cache file for this scene and am now starting to render the animation in HD (1280 X 720px). It's a bit smaller than the previously posted image, and I reduced the quality settings from 0.6/6 to 0.5/6. The first frame took about 30 minutes, which is quite acceptable I think.

It's going to take some time now...

And thanks, Kadri!

j meyer

Keep on pushing the limits man. 8)

Hannes