Lightning

Started by yossam, June 09, 2016, 10:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

Quote from: Hetzen on September 01, 2016, 04:17:40 PMHave a look at this 1000fps footage. Particularly around 20secs. You can see over 3 or 4 frames the 'equalisation' running back up the streak.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaLAPGAmFtY

You guys are going to have to define your terms and, therefore, nail down what you mean. To me "equalization" isn't very clear. Ionization is one thing but flow of electrons is another. The video clearly shows the ionization happening but I don't think you can tell the direction of net electron flow from the pictures. Since electrons a very mobile but protons are not, we can be pretty sure that an electric current is flowing mostly in one direction. This is what "equalizes" the charges between the ground and the atmosphere. But then there is a catch. When electrons flow in one direction, electrical conventions say that (mathematically) current is flowing in the other direction. This convention was established as a standard before physicists proved the existence of electrons. Their guess was wrong. So we are forever stuck with a backwards standard. Because of this, both Hezten and Matt can claim they are right. So they each owe each other a beer. If they agree, then they can call it even.

Hey! This is my 1000th post!

yossam

For what it's worth.............I have to side with Jon on this one. The original post was at 7000 fps and to me it clearly shows the discharge traveling up. Like I said........for what it's worth.  :P

Matt

Quote from: yossam on September 01, 2016, 09:19:58 PM
For what it's worth.............I have to side with Jon on this one. The original post was at 7000 fps and to me it clearly shows the discharge traveling up. Like I said........for what it's worth.  :P

I do not see this. Can you explain what part shows the discharge travelling up?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: PabloMack on September 01, 2016, 09:17:09 PM
You guys are going to have to define your terms and, therefore, nail down what you mean. To me "equalization" isn't very clear. Ionization is one thing but flow of electrons is another. The video clearly shows the ionization happening but I don't think you can tell the direction of net electron flow from the pictures. Since electrons a very mobile but protons are not, we can be pretty sure that an electric current is flowing mostly in one direction. This is what "equalizes" the charges between the ground and the atmosphere. But then there is a catch. When electrons flow in one direction, electrical conventions say that (mathematically) current is flowing in the other direction. This convention was established as a standard before physicists proved the existence of electrons. Their guess was wrong. So we are forever stuck with a backwards standard.

It we're talking about the direction of flow of the electrons (or the reverse mathematical convention), then there wouldn't be a debate, because we know that the electrons flow from the cloud to the ground. I think the bet is about something different.

Because of this, both Hezten and Matt can claim they are right. So they each owe each other a beer. If they agree, then they can call it even.

I don't mind calling it even and buying each other a beer, but we haven't got to the bottom of this thing yet!

Congratulations :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hetzen

Quote from: PabloMack on September 01, 2016, 09:17:09 PM
Quote from: Hetzen on September 01, 2016, 04:17:40 PMHave a look at this 1000fps footage. Particularly around 20secs. You can see over 3 or 4 frames the 'equalisation' running back up the streak.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaLAPGAmFtY

You guys are going to have to define your terms and, therefore, nail down what you mean. To me "equalization" isn't very clear. Ionization is one thing but flow of electrons is another. The video clearly shows the ionization happening but I don't think you can tell the direction of net electron flow from the pictures. Since electrons a very mobile but protons are not, we can be pretty sure that an electric current is flowing mostly in one direction. This is what "equalizes" the charges between the ground and the atmosphere. But then there is a catch. When electrons flow in one direction, electrical conventions say that (mathematically) current is flowing in the other direction. This convention was established as a standard before physicists proved the existence of electrons. Their guess was wrong. So we are forever stuck with a backwards standard. Because of this, both Hezten and Matt can claim they are right. So they each owe each other a beer. If they agree, then they can call it even.

Brilliant. I love this stuff.

I have to hold my hands up here and admit my position on this is swayed by something I saw on BBC4, which at the time was counter intuitive to what I had been taught to believe.

I think if we look at any system, there is always feedback. Nothing cuts out to zero. So in my head a series of rocking makes sense.

What i found interesting, is that the main event happens on earth contact and rises a few frames later. This needs to be clarified. And probably will take footage frames to prove.

Something that rings true with me is that we can be positively charged with rubber soles on. It's when we touch metal our finger feels the spark.

DannyG

You guys are complicating things
*DC ALWAYS flows negative to positive, that's known, Lightning is DC - also known, the Earth is negative, I believe old Nicky Tesla would agree.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram