BIFROST Beach RnD

Started by AP, June 10, 2016, 07:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

What software produces this? Would be nice to make this possible in TG  ;)

AP

I have no idea. It could be In-House only R@D?

Even static renders with Terragen, this would look just fantastic. It would certainly require a lot of shader knowledge and tricks. Uni-directional shaders might be needed for one thing. The suds look like they can be done with rigid and billowy noise using a very sharp cloud shader. The water is just the water minus the caustics but having the waves create a certain pattern, warp and break would be something else.

Hetzen

Bifrost is Maya's node based particle system. I think it leans heavily on Softimage's Ice.

Some great work there.

KlausK

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

AP

Now the name is familiar. I recall an article some time back about Bifrost. I know Ice from Softimage.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hetzen on June 11, 2016, 06:52:37 AM
Bifrost is Maya's node based particle system. I think it leans heavily on Softimage's Ice.

Some great work there.

BiFrost is actually completely based on Exotic Matter's 'Naiad' software, from Marcus Nordenstam.
Naiad underwent heavy development for the many particle sims for Avatar.

After Avatar Naiad received lots of praise and as many great CG soft out there, it eventually gets eaten by Autodesk.

Tangled-Universe

About the simulation.
I have seen many many many Realflow, PhoenixFD, Naiad, FumeFX and BiFrost particle sims and I always notice all of those sims do 1 simple thing blatantly utterly annoyingly extremely wrong:

ALL have a way too high wave frequency  >:(

Serious?? You spend sooooo much time on research and you nail nearly every aspect of simulation, but then completely 100% FAIL with the very very basic thing of a beach wave, the wave frequency, which makes it look SO INCREDIBLY FAKE  :(

AP

Perhaps a two minute search on the internet could have helped those folks.   

ajcgi

QuoteAfter Avatar Naiad received lots of praise and as many great CG soft out there, it eventually gets eaten by Autodesk.

...and then bolted onto Maya. When I say bolt, I mean glued. When I say glue I mean Pritt Stick.

TheBadger

Anyway, after this summer you will no longer be able to get new versions of maya, and all autodesk stuff, but by subscription. You should update now if you have anything needs updating.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Wow!!
Martin, you're definitely right, but nevertheless it looks stunning real!