Cloud Depth

Started by Urantia Jerry, June 20, 2016, 07:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urantia Jerry

I have been trying hard for quite a while now to render clouds that give a sense of depth.  This is the closest I've been able to come.  I put a couple of populations of bushes in the scene so it would not look so bare, but my main concern was the clouds.  Any C-n-C is most welcome and appreciated.  Thanks for looking - Jerry

Dune

They are nice. I don't do much with clouds, but I do like several layers of them, each different in texture and height. They can throw shadows onto eachother, which gives a nice sense of depth also. Have you experimented with larger variation in the fractals, or combining several fractals?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 20, 2016, 10:10:11 AM
They are nice. I don't do much with clouds, but I do like several layers of them, each different in texture and height. They can throw shadows onto eachother, which gives a nice sense of depth also. Have you experimented with larger variation in the fractals, or combining several fractals?

Agree on all counts...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Urantia Jerry

Yes I have experimented mixing and blending power fractals, but only with regard to rocks and terrains, never clouds.  Did you mean combining different density fractals or mixing fractals and then plugging them into either the density fractal or cloud layer itself?  Again - thank you for you help.

fleetwood

Increasing the edge sharpness level might give you harder forms and thus more distinct shadows and depth. Try putting the cloud sharpness at 50 or more just for a test and see .

Dune

I mean any kind of mix of 2 or more fractal versions (with merge shader, or stack some nodes, use blue node add color, mix color, subtract color, multiply color, etc), and also the settings in the noise itself, like variation, buoyancy, clumping, even extreme or negative values sometimes yield interesting results. And plug that into density input, or add other shaders for the depth modulator (which causes clouds to vaporize/vanish due to the added noise whites, kind of).

DannyG

Agree in regards to the clouds, but love the lighting, shaders and especially the erosion .. very nice
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram