just something nice

Started by DocCharly65, July 01, 2016, 03:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

A new Render Test.
just something nice ... and who needs a little luck ... just exactly observe the sky!
Quite simply constructed and rendered overnight at Pixelplow.
Plants Xfrog, the moon is a modified model of nicola3dmodels - found on TF3DM.

https://vimeo.com/173013136

Originally I wanted to test only the camerawork for R2D2's way through the night. Through feminine intuition of a friend I have refrained from clouds and cloud animation. The shooting stars are just 200:1 stretched Terragen spheres with 0 Illumination at startup and 0.5 yellowish white illumination at end of their tracks.

This video version is a bit blurred because I didn't have time enough this early morning for the scaling up by graphics software (1280x720 >> 1920x1080). But so I know now that Magix is not very well suited for direct scaling up :)

The pixelplow job only needed app. 5-6 h to finish the 600 frames - it was 22$ at 0.8 up to 1.5 speed as I remember.
Because in the first 600 frames (of later 1000-1200) there is now visible landscape even my i7 only needed 5-6 minutes for the first frame:
[attach=2]

The endframe as below needed 1.5 h.
[attach=1]

ajcgi

Aww... so peaceful. :D
Those shooting stars are very effective aren't they?

DocCharly65

thanks aj  :)

Peaceful??

Sorry ... I have to apologize for the bad sound mix.. its just too loud. I was soooo tired when I mixed it this morning....  :o

luvsmuzik

Very good! Crickets really are that loud! Ever try to go to sleep with one chirping away? Ha!

Kadri

Nice. The different angle of the Sternschnuppen are deliberate i assume (Xwings?) ?

Dune

Very nice effect and very smart idea, the long spheres. Pity the groundlevel render takes so long. For night shots, you might  reduce a lot of things (mainly displacement, and good chance you don't need the compute terrain!).

DocCharly65

Thanks  :)

Kadri, I am just a lazy old man and cannot think in more than 2 (maximum 3 - if I open both eyes...) axis  ;D
In fact in all animations I try to keep "natual" x,y or z directions for almost every movement. The less I must calculate and do experiments with angles and axis the more natural the animated movement will be. Movements in other than x,y or z directions usually cause many calculations and much trouble.  ;)

Ulco I thought of it too, to reduce some details. But I want to keep the fireflies and let some of them fly deep over the ground so I must have a nice base to be illuminated. Perhaps (no - not perhaps!  - surely! ;) ) I can reduce a bit rendertime with exchanging the "water-shader "puddles with reflective ones. In the daylight/morning renders I want to keep the water shaders because they cause that nice glittering shore around every puddle ("for free" - no blue nodes, additional shaders or anything ;)  ).

Anyway meanwhile I am used to rendertimes of up to 2 hrs. 5-20 minutes is paradise up to 1 h is good, 1,5 is ok and above is hardcore... And depending on what is in the pipeline I devide my renderjobs between my PCs. And if I am very unpatient or want to finish soon, I give the job to pixelplow. (I am getting better and better to avoid / repair warnings and errors before gathering)  :)

Edited 3:45pm
Kadri I just understood in a different way what you ment. The first 3 are same angle but different startposition. Only the last one has the 90° axis as direction. but the rest  - same answer: avoid too much problems...  ;)

DocCharly65

Quote from: luvsmuzik on July 01, 2016, 08:12:58 AM
Very good! Crickets really are that loud! Ever try to go to sleep with one chirping away? Ha!

Depends on my mood... sometimes I like that sound and sometimes I even want to kill my ticking bedside clock...then they better stop singing   ;D

Dune

Are the puddles a continous 'lake'? You might want to mask the puddles out, so all other invisble water isn't rendered. As I wrote in another thread, you can also use a reflective+ colors derived from the terrain into a surface shader on your 'lake'. If you set the highlights the same as in the water shader, you get your shiners, and for a moving area, still the idea of transprent water. And faster.

zaxxon

What a lovely place you have created. Wonderful ambiance and and sense of peace.

bobbystahr

Niiiice....love the shooting stars...full success on that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Thanks  bobby and zaxxon :)

I just updated the videofile on vimeo. It is a little bit better now (more sharpness and the sound is not any more so overdriven)

Ulco, the puddles are only a surface layer on the road. Limited by a painted shader, highly smoothed and followed by a water shader because of the shore glittering. But for the night shots I'll give it a try to play with reflective shaders. I won't have to play with the colors so it's an easy way to test if rendertime decreases.

If YES - then later I will just have to learn how to use colors derived from the terrain into a surface shader... Sounds like blue nodes... makes me slightly panic  ???  ;) ;D

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist