Easy cloud 01

Started by AP, July 03, 2016, 08:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

What are the two Param B and C settings for? I understand the Softness feature.

Matt

Param B cannot be changed. It's a leftover from Cloud Layer V2. It might be removed, or I might map it to some other parameter in the future.

Param C is very difficult to describe, I'm afraid. I'm not sure what the ideal range of values is, but it does affect the appearance of the cloud and I feel that more tests need to be done to understand how it affects the results. So I'm exposing it in the GUI so we can experiment with it.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

So there is some heavy math functions going on here behind the Param I would imagine?

AP

Some other thoughts...

For the Cumulus clouds. A perlin ridges noise of feathery break-offs while keeping true to the primary pattern of puffy cloud tops for example. Currently the edge break-offs all look billowy.

Beside Cumulus and Altocumulus, is Cirrus going to be available?

What about other cloud types?

Dune

I get the idea that these parameters influence the lower half of the cloud, with either a sharp distiction between upper and lower half or more soft. Therefore these V3 clouds are harder to use for a smoke column like in my latest crater experiment, hence my use of V2.

AP

Interesting food for thought.

Matt

Quote from: AP on July 21, 2016, 04:25:13 AM
Some other thoughts...

For the Cumulus clouds. A perlin ridges noise of feathery break-offs while keeping true to the primary pattern of puffy cloud tops for example. Currently the edge break-offs all look billowy.

Beside Cumulus and Altocumulus, is Cirrus going to be available?

What about other cloud types?

I've been tweaking in lots of ways, and you'll see some changes in the next version. I'm also working on additional cloud types. Cirrus isn't one of them yet, but may be in future. It's difficult to predict what types will be added next because much of what I'm doing is the result of experimentation and happy accidents, and I'd like to have most of the cloud types emerge nicely from the same underlying model (this will become very useful for a cool mixing feature later on). However, I think I'm homing in on a nice model for a general altocumulus/stratocumulus type which I hope add in the next version. I had planned to add Stratus next but that will have to come later.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: Matt on July 22, 2016, 09:47:10 PM
However, I think I'm homing in on a nice model for a general altocumulus/stratocumulus type which I hope add in the next version.

If any of you follow me on Twitter (and I'm not saying you should, because I use it very, very rarely!) then you'll see that I got pretty excited about this yesterday ;)

Matt

AP

Yes, I would imagine Cirrus being hard due to several factors like unidirectional feathering, some iteration here and there, that very nice brush stroke pattern. That seems like the most challenging type of cloud besides Cumulonimbus. A mixing feature sounds like it could be enticing. What ever emerges first sounds great all around.    :)

Dune

I totally agree with AP and am looking forward what you brew up, Matt. Exciting!

AP

Another nice cloud type for the future. Stratocumulus Undulatus.