The Size of Things: Loosing sense of scale

Started by fuzzyEuclid, July 13, 2016, 12:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzyEuclid

I get how large they really are. Wasn't my purpose.

I wanted them to be 1.8 meters - roughly 5.9 feet for USA readers (that be me). The primary purpose was for a human scale reference scattered across the landscape. I chose the Easter Island motif just because I thought it was fun. Actual size would be closer to [roughly] 4 meters. As they are, at scale "1" they should be coming in at 1.8 meters = 5.9 feet, which is a fair measure for human scale reference imho. If you wanted actual size (roughly, since they vary), you would need to scale the object to 2.3 on the x/y/z. That would yield an actual real-to-life scale in the world of TG. If someone actually wanted to use them to that effect:

1) I kept it low poly. You would want to pull it into a 3D program of choice and add some polys (sub-div would be quick) to get rid of the low-poly-ness of it. Maybe not completely required, depending on the scene. Obj file incoming.

2) The texture map is fair, not good. There is some serious blurring problems here and there that I didn't fix, as it wasn't meant for full-on renders. If someone wants a good texture, I'll be happy to revisit it (I may anyway, as it kind of bothers me, but I need time to actually do a good texture and I don't have that right now - time for me comes and goes like a rain storm). That said, the UVs are not too shabby, so anyone with a minor skill at 3D can easily drop in a nice texture for it. I'll include the OBJ file for this purpose, or in case anyone wants to tweak it for their use.

Like I said, it's a bit anti-intuitive, and I'm sorry for that. Sometimes I lean towards that direction. My wife can tell you, sometimes that's good, and sometimes that's bad :)

Dune

It's a stone texture, right? So it's easy enough to texture procedurally (through transform shader).

fuzzyEuclid

Should be - and I'm sure you would get much nicer results than my rushed patchwork  ;D