Obj sequence exporter

Started by digitalguru, July 20, 2016, 06:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

DocCharly65

That's very interesting!

But some questions - sorry - I am focussed on Terragen so far (maximum some really marginal wings3D, blender and Poseray knowledge)

Which program is rendering which part?
I some time ago had an idea that theoretically a body-posing-animation in Terragen could be possible, if there is a script that imports a sequence of different objects. But before (in my idea a sequence of - let's say 100-200) - object files must be exported from eg. blender.

I even don't know if loading a different obj file frame by frame for the same object is possible in Terragen. But I already could bring something similar to work with the image projection in my Helicopter rotor projection. So why not?

The other side is that posing and animating rigged objects is not that easy -- I needed 2 days just to pose a simple hand just holding something in it's fingers - only creating that object - not even animated!  ;D
(With Blender --- seems that eg. Maya is easier to use but 200 $ PER  MONTH  ?? ??? )

digitalguru

Hey DocCharly65,

It's all rendered in Terragen, no compositing.

Loading the obj seq is easy, just load the first file in the sequence, then add a frame expression as you would with an image sequence - i.e:

J:\_PROJECT_MASTERS_\_Personal_\terragen_terraman\_terragen3_\output\terraman_dancer\dancer02_objSeq\dancer02.%04d.obj

I've uploaded a Terragen scene and the the obj sequence if you want to have a look:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81475291/terraman_dancer.rar

(just replace the path in the dancer01.0025.obj node to your downloaded path)

Caveats are that the obj doesn't motion blur in a Terraegn render, but if you render a .tgSurf2dMotion render element you can vector blur it in comp.

QuoteThe other side is that posing and animating rigged objects is not that easy -- I needed 2 days just to pose a simple hand just holding something in it's fingers - only creating that object - not even animated!

Same here, I can't animate characters for toffee :) I used an animation from the SOup demos

DocCharly65

Quote from: digitalguru on July 20, 2016, 07:57:33 AM

Loading the obj seq is easy, just load the first file in the sequence, then add a frame expression as you would with an image sequence - i.e:

J:\_PROJECT_MASTERS_\_Personal_\terragen_terraman\_terragen3_\output\terraman_dancer\dancer02_objSeq\dancer02.%04d.obj

Cool - that is exactly my idea of the imaginary workflow. I didn't know it works because projecting a sequence of pictures on  plane doesn't work without some tricks. Oh dear - means that some day I'll have to learn posing and animating characters (in blender)  :o ;) ;D

Folks you know what that means... aimated faces and characters in my 2020 project -- but 2050 at the earliest  ;D ;D ;D

Ok... Let's stay on the ground - I keep my 2020 aim and do what is possible...  ;)