jagged edge of shadow

Started by Dune, July 30, 2016, 11:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Has anyone encountered this? Rendered in TG4 the shadow is very abrupt and when doing displacement of the polys in ST, the edges are really jagged. But when rendered in TG3 (3.4.0.0) it's alright. It's nothing to do with check or uncheck smooth normals, because when I turn that off it renders exactly the same (good) in TG3.

Added another one as comparison between 3.4 and TG4.

j meyer

Looks like there is a problem in the render engine,
not in the model.
So it's most likely a case for 'Render Engine Repair Man'.

yossam

Matt

All of those times that someone has reported jagged edges at the terminator of an low-poly object, like this one, I always thought we didn't have a solution without modifying the code. For example:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3744.msg39205.html#msg39205

I was looking at your 3.4 render and wondering why it didn't show this problem. The answer is the way that TG3 handles bump mapping. By displacing the shading points outwards according to the displacement/bump map, it pushes the surface into the light in places that it would otherwise suffer from the sharp jagged terminator problem.

This means that in TG3 you should be able to use a small amount of displacement offset in the Default Shader (or something similar using other displacement shaders) to avoid the terminator problem, even if you don't use a displacement/bump map.

I changed that for TG4 without realising that it would break a useful feature. I'll probably change it back, now that I know this.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Thanks for your reply, Matt. It's not only got to do with bump mapping, because if you render unbumped in TG3, you get this smooth transition, no hard edge.

AP

Interesting that this is pointed out because I could not quite place what was going on with my trees and now I know why.

Matt

Are you sure there isn't a displacement offset in the v3 no-bump render? What if you replace its shaders with a fresh default shader?

Dune

No offset. I've done a few more, but there is a difference between V3 and V4. In V3 you can get relatively smooth transitions with a bit of offset, in TG4 the edges stay rather hard.

Matt

Which version of 4 are you testing? 3.9.07 with the fix included? With 3.9.07 (Beta 2) you should definitely be able to remove that with some offset. It might not be exactly like TG3 though.

Matt

Dune

3.9.06. If the private beta 3.9.07 is available, I'd be very happy to test again  ;)

Matt

Ah well that makes sense. I didn't fix it until .07. The differences between TG3 and 3.9.06 with zero displacement are still a bit surprising, but might be explained by changes to the ray bias as I tweak things to work with Embree.

Regarding public keyless betas vs. private betas for alpha testers, I have prioritised building the public keyless betas so that we can get them alpha tested for release.

Matt

Dune

Ok, thanks Matt. I'm out of the game then, for a while.