Windows 10 problems anyone ?

Started by Kadri, August 01, 2016, 10:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Because of the mandatory (!) free upgrade to Windows 10 i made the jump and had many problems.
Still not sure if the system works as it should be. The last crash was 2 hours ago.

That i had ones again a faulty hard disk problem didn't help too. Ones again a Seagate drive.
The failures in the 5 past years are more then i had in the last 25 years. All Seagate (last 5 years).

This is a very short description of the problems. The first day i upgraded 1 laptop and 1 PC to Wşndows 10.
They had no problems at all (still not much used the Laptop) except AVG and Commodo. Mostly Commodo especially.

But the last 7 days i struggled with my PC.

Strangely it is always my PC that is problematic We have now 4 Windows 10 builds in the house.
3 good ones out of 4 might be not so bad but why always my PC ? :)
If there wasn't the free upgrade time limit i wouldn't had upgraded at all for a long time.
If it works don't break...yeah

Anyway.

Did you had any problems?

yossam

Kadri,

I haven't had any kind of problems on my updates...........two desktops and a laptop. I always use Western Digital HDs, never had a problem with any of them. Seagates reputation for quality has kinda gone downhill from what I have read here and there. What exactly is causing the crashes..........any idea?

Richard

Kadri

You are lucky :)

Yeah Seagate is bad in the last years.
Don't know the new drives. But mine were mostly from the bad era (3-5 years ago mostly).
The new hard drive i changed with the old one is a Seagate too unfortunately. Feels bad :)

Since 2-3 hours no crash. Saw a Nvidia opengl error log in the event viewer (but there were others too).
I have an onboard graphics card too that was always disabled.
Not sure but maybe when i tried to work out the earlier problem (hard disk) i might have changed some settings.

Still trying to settle everything.
Every upgrade had such problems with my PC. It settles down mostly with some new updates from Windows and-or drivers etc.

Dune

I won't do it, but stick to 7. If 10 is the last (I understand) and 7 is working perfectly, why 'upgrade' at all?

Kadri

Yes, if you don't need it there is no reason Ulco.

I play games on my computer too (any Steam users around?). Although not much as i used to.
So far i know Directx 12 is only on Windows 10.
In the coming years there will be much more games around that will use it.

It is just that i would have waited 1 year more at least for a more mature OS.

yossam

fleetwood

I've had Win 10 since it came out. Mine seems to be working fine. I was skeptical but the in the background automatic upgrade system has actually worked so far. Don't have to go hunting  for them or manually install. I like the fact that so far any upgrades happen during reboots but don't try to nag you to do a reboot NOW. They seem to play nice and just wait for the next normal reboot. Good when doing long renders. 

bobbystahr

Aside for hunting down various features I perennially use it's been fine and agree with fleetwood on:
"but the in the background automatic upgrade system has actually worked so far"
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

peterki

I have a problem when i installed Terragen 0.9.43 on my new computer with windows 10. I cant see the labels in the surface treeview. Only the treestructure. Anyone who can help me with that. When i try compatibilitymode XP for example it's the same thing. Only different look of the squares.

Kadri

Quote from: peterki on August 18, 2016, 07:10:43 AM
I have a problem when i installed Terragen 0.9.43 on my new computer with windows 10. I cant see the labels in the surface treeview. Only the treestructure. Anyone who can help me with that. When i try compatibilitymode XP for example it's the same thing. Only different look of the squares.

Do you use custom scale size in Windows 10 ("display settings+Custom scale size" more precisely)? Try with default if so.

peterki

Quote from: Kadri on August 18, 2016, 07:24:40 AM
Quote from: peterki on August 18, 2016, 07:10:43 AM

Do you use custom scale size in Windows 10 ("display settings+Custom scale size" more precisely)? Try with default if so.

No custom resolution. Using the default.

N-drju

I managed to evade the Windows 10 update on my computer. I love you MSI Dragon! :-* :-* :-*
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"