Update a let-down?

Started by bertrand, August 20, 2007, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

note235

wouldnt be able to give some hint about the update for multithreading?
im thinking about buying deep+animation, no wait i will buy it if its implemented soon enough

I have 5 months to do a 2 minutes realistic fly through of the world
access to about 20 computers
DC each
multi-thread
+
Network Rendering

rcallicotte

Yep.  Thanks to Planetside developers and testers for such a wonderful communication system and the diligent ability to get this thing out.

What a program!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Quote from: note235 on September 09, 2007, 12:42:07 AM
wouldnt be able to give some hint about the update for multithreading?
im thinking about buying deep+animation, no wait i will buy it if its implemented soon enough

I have 5 months to do a 2 minutes realistic fly through of the world
access to about 20 computers
DC each
multi-thread
+
Network Rendering

Given those numbers you've got about 24 hours per render...  Wait too long and the performance gain may not be enough to catch up.

Oshyan

Multithreading will likely be in the next update but that may realistically be the final, depending on how the timing works out. We still plan to release a final product by the end of this year. The current development work is focused on multithreading and other renderer improvements and may be ready in 2 months or so, but by that time we are so close to the finished release that it may not be worth spending time on an interim release. For your purposes too it would be a matter of a few weeks difference so it may not be a significant difference given the great speed-up that will come with multi-threading.

In any case since it will no doubt take you a while to construct a fully realistic world I would recommend purchasing at least one Deep license now; it will be at a discount anyway, and will give you time to build your world so that it is ready by the time faster rendering is available. In addition being a registered user will give you first access to any multithreading updates that are released prior to the final.

- Oshyan