Smooth Normals?

Started by Buzzzzz, September 03, 2007, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzzzz

Could someone please explain to this dummy just what exactly "Smooth Normals" does for objects? I really don't know.  ???

dhavalmistry

where did u find that option???
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

It smoothes objects, that has normals saved correctly.
This makes them look ... smooth.

sjefen

If you import a object that is smooth like for example a sphere, it will now be smooth. That didn't work before.
I remember someone posting images with imported animals. Those animals was not smooth. If they rerender the same scene with the latest version they will be.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Harvey Birdman

-

Buzzzzz

Thanks for explaining gang. As I thought, kinda like in Bryce's object properties where you can smooth the object. This will be great for low poly, low quality objects.

rcallicotte

Thanks everyone and especially the very clear explanation from Harvey.  I too did not understand this until this very minute.  How wonderful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Glad it helped. Actually it was kind of a simplified version of what is probably going on. In all likelihood there isn't just one norm per poly, but rather one for each vertex of each poly. The general concept of what's happening is the same but the actual details get a bit more complicated than what I described.

rcallicotte

Fantastic.  This is the best way when describing the problem to someone who doesn't understand the concept.  Now I do.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman