Workflow for camera animation in 3ds Max?

Started by embeh, August 04, 2016, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embeh

I would like to use 3ds Max to create the camera animation (better animation controls, faster preview etc.) and then render it all in Terragen.
Does anyone have a workflow for this?

What I need is some coarse terrain geometry in 3ds Max to lay out the camera moves; then I plan to use FBX to bring the camera into Terragen and render with detailed terrain geometry and shaders.

Any insights on how to approach this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: I did search for a while here on the forum and on Google but found mostly old references (not for TG3 or 4), but feel free to point me to an existing post if this has already been covered.

Oshyan

Terragen 4 is not fundamentally different than TG 2 and 3, so older resources may still apply. The general workflow, if you need terrain, would be to use either a Heightfield export to export a heightfield, or a Micro Exporter to export geometry, then create your camera and export as FBX, which TG 3/4 can import. If you only need the terrain to lay out the camera path, then the Heightfield approach may be easiest.

If your terrain does not already consist of a heightfield (e.g. you use Power Fractals and Displacement), you can use a Heightfield Generate, feed your terrain shader network into the Shader input on the right, set the heightfield size, position, and resolution parameters to correspond to your needs, then click Generate. Finally, right-click the Heightfield Generate node in the shader network and choose Save As. You can save as TER (a Terragen-specific terrain format that is also supported by many other applications), or EXR. 3DS Max can probably load EXR and use it as displacement. Just keep in mind that everything scale-based in Terragen is measured in Meters, so you'll need to keep that in mind when laying things out in 3DS Max. You want to match your 3DS Max displaced terrain size to the TG size, if possible (this size is specified in the Heightfield nodes in the above workflow).

I hope that gives you a start. Let us know if you have more questions.

- Oshyan

Hetzen

What Oshyan said. GroundWiz is a good little max plugin that will create a displaced plane from a .ter at the grid spacing's you specify. It nice clean geometry which is pretty good for crude shadow catching.

The other way is to micro export a camera view of your scene, and use the same camera exported to Max to project a TG render for it's texture. There's a bit of poly clean up with this method. You have to weld vertices together and use the exported camera to project UVs.

I used this method with a vanity project I did last year... http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20145.0.html

embeh

Thanks! You are mentioning a displaced ground plane, but shouldn't that be a displaced planet sphere? And if so, how do I position the displacement correctly on that sphere?

embeh

OK, so I managed to export the scene as FBX and the terrain as OBJ through the Micro Exporter and they both seem to end up correctly in 3ds Max.

Next, I animated a simple forward-moving camera translation in 3ds Max and exported the camera to FBX. Using the Import tab on the Render Camera in TG4, I loaded that FBX with the animation, but now the camera is moving backwards instead of forwards...?

Edit: Attached is a FBX file with some very simple test animation for the camera: Only translation, first Left->Right (X axis in 3ds Max), then Up->Down (Z axis in 3ds Max), then forwards (Y axis in 3ds Max). Importing this into TG4 results in translation AND rotation curves, although there never was any rotational animation in that data - any idea why?

Thanks!

embeh

(at the risk of starting to talk to myself in this thread...)

So how would I go about creating quick previews of the camera animation I have? I don't care too much about the actual lighting, atmosphere etc., more the terrain layout in relation to the camera. Is there any way to make quick previews in TG4?

Thanks!

Hetzen

Have you checked y is up in the FBX export settings under the advanced tab? If so, what is the rotation order of your camera?

As for quick renders, just turn stuff off you don't need like atmosphere if not used. Then set some low GI and render settings.

embeh

It seems I am getting incorrect rotations when there are no rotation keys to start with. Bug?

Hetzen

FBX bakes all the frames from 3D max into keyframes. So even if your model has no rotation, it will still bake a keyframe showing no change from the previous keyframe.

Hetzen

Also. Could you describe your scene please. If your POV is not near TGs origin, you will get transform errors.

embeh

FWIW, creating rotation keyframes in 3ds Max seems to fix my animation import issues, no unwanted rotation

Quote from: Hetzen on August 05, 2016, 12:37:23 PM
Also. Could you describe your scene please. If your POV is not near TGs origin, you will get transform errors.

The FBX above shows the issue. I am just using the default TG scene present at startup to get my bearings on what I need to do to get the connection between 3ds Max and TG running.

FWIW, I found this video for Maya pretty useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS21UjyQpWU