Rendered Terrain Cut Off

Started by Kexikus, April 29, 2019, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kexikus

It's been a while but I finally got back to do some Terragen works and I've hit a problem.

I have a pretty weird terrain (more on that later) that renders just fine at low resolution but once I increase the resolution, part of it gets cut off. It's just no longer rendered. This happens at the edge of a render "cell" for lack of a better word. You can see what I'm talking about in the attached screenshots. The "small" one was rendered at 512x512px and the terrain looks fine but in the "large" 1024x1024px render one of the mountain peaks is cut off.

I assume that this is related to my strange terrain setup: An alpine fractal, followed by a displacement shader, followed by three surface layers with masked Twist and Shear shaders. But I have a compute terrain node at the end and I really don't know what else I could do to fix this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I also attached the .tgd for you to have a look.

Thank you very much :)

KlausK

hi, turn off "Allow Auto Reduction" here:
Render01 / Advanced / Bucket Controls / Allow Auto Reduction (un-check)
Worked for me with your file.
I am on 4.1.25. So not the latest version of TG.

CHeers, Klaus

ps: I used the Render 01 with Render Camera. Larger resolutions also rendered fine then.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Oshyan

This happens when your terrain displacement is large enough that it crosses render bucket boundaries. Increasing Displacement Tolerance in your Planet node will help. Try a value of 1.2 or 1.5. I would not recommend going above 2 although it may be necessary to fix it. The change to bucket reduction/sizes that Klaus mentioned *can* fix it in some cases, but it will still vary by resolution, and ultimately you will need to use Displacement Tolerance to properly fix it.

- Oshyan

KlausK

That`s good to know. I didn`t.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Kexikus

Quote from: Oshyan on April 29, 2019, 09:33:19 PM
This happens when your terrain displacement is large enough that it crosses render bucket boundaries. Increasing Displacement Tolerance in your Planet node will help. Try a value of 1.2 or 1.5. I would not recommend going above 2 although it may be necessary to fix it. The change to bucket reduction/sizes that Klaus mentioned *can* fix it in some cases, but it will still vary by resolution, and ultimately you will need to use Displacement Tolerance to properly fix it.

- Oshyan

Thanks a lot. That fixed it!