New name for Easy Clouds?

Started by Matt, August 09, 2016, 08:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

What do you think we should call the new Easy Clouds in Terragen 4? Do you have any ideas for a better name?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

I have no problem with the name. Actually i think it sounds good.
Because of the hard nature of Terragen for many newcomers it might look kinda appealing even.
Still curious with what others might come up.

AP

I looked at as many Nouns and Adjectives for the word Easy and it appears Easy seems to work quite well. The name sounds like what that node should be, Easy... Any other name would seem too lengthy, too technical, too abstract, too unappealing in sound and so on.

Dune

Agreed. Though some are not very easy on the processor, there's not really another suitable name, I guess. 'Canned Clouds'  (Just Open and Digest) :P

fleetwood

A few old standbys - Rapid Clouds, Jiffy Clouds, Zip Clouds, Zap Clouds, Insta Clouds, Super Clouds, Popup Clouds

Dune

Insta clouds sounds the best. Rapid clouds is very tricky to use  :P

yossam

I like easy, why change something that works.  :)

zaxxon

So are they really 'Easy'? Certainly they reduce a lot of the complex set ups from past TG versions. Seems like a lot of 'Blue Nodes' are under the hood here to create this cloud tool(s), so from my view they're 'Easier' but that name has no marketing pizzazz. I see why Matt posted this thread as the word 'Easy' is a simplification that may frustrate some users. And, as Dune pointed out, the new cloud types are processor intensive, but 'no pain no gain', so the trade off is higher quality imagery. As a former marketing guy I'm all for descriptive labeling and not setting false expectations from a name. To me the new set ups are 'optimized'.  The entire set up is 'simplified' as there are certainly less parts to the node network to create a similar effect from past TG versions (and no pesky blue nodes...). Also, as the set ups are categorized as Cumulus, Cirrus, etc. they are indeed fine tuned to create the desired type. Having waded thru Frank Basinski's brilliant cloud set ups in the past it occurred to me that I might never be smart enough to figure what the hell he was doing and could only hope to marginally achieve some of those results. The 'Easy' clouds probably can't do those things either, but at least I can forgo the headache meds  ;). Plus, and this one is huge: They are much faster to set up and get great clouds. That, coupled with the RTP, which btw does an amazing job of previewing the changes, makes a quantum leap for showing TG's already formidable atmospheric engine. So I think "Optimized" would be my suggestion for the new cloud set ups, after all isn't that what's really occurring here? One definition in the OED of 'optimize' is "rearrange or rewrite (data, software, etc.) to improve efficiency of retrieval or processing". The ad stuff would look something like: "New Optimized Cloud Settings" ("NOCS" for the twitter damaged folks). The creation of atmospheres in TG will never be truly simple or easy, that's what tgc files are for if you want to just copy and paste to get a nice sky. So how about "Optimized"?

Oshyan

My concern would be that "optimized" would imply *faster* (faster rendering). That is, in my experience, the *most* common use of that term in computer graphics.

Personally I think Easy Cloud is not bad. I can't think of anything better yet... ;)

- Oshyan

Hetzen

I think Easy Clouds works. The only other thing I could think of is Cloud Model.

Oshyan

"Simple Clouds" would be the other thought that occurs to me. Or "Simplified Clouds". But that doesn't necessarily have good connotations either. "Easy" is pretty good... :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Preset Altocumulus, Preset Stratocumulus...?

DannyG

Quote from: Hetzen on August 10, 2016, 04:50:57 PM
I think Easy Clouds works. The only other thing I could think of is Cloud Model.

I am liking Cloud Model, it's what it is
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

fleetwood

Jokes

Easy Clouds seems to me like the best of the names that's been floated. It ain't broke.